Local SD channels in the wrong aspect ratio
rexxriot
In the Boston area, I've noticed that they've started showing the CW and NBC in the wrong aspect ratio.  They're supposed to be letterboxed and have been for years, but they've started showing up in full screen.  I know that it's not an issue with the stations because I know Comcast is still broadcasting them letterboxed.  Anyone know what the issue is?
0 Likes
Re: Local SD channels in the wrong aspect ratio
rt4me
I'm still searching through the forums to see if this has been addressed but I'm seeing the same issue on NBC shows. Is there a setting on the DVR that I can change or a specific contact number for Verizon that I can complain to?
0 Likes
snuckleton
Enthusiast - Level 3
I've noticed this recently in NJ on some of the SD channels.  In the last episode of the office there were conversations between characters where neither character was visible on the screen. 
0 Likes
Koz00

I too see this issue where shows on both NBC and CW.  Latest example is on NBC with the new show Kings.  There were couple scenes with text and it is cut off on the right and left side.  Also on Fox, I watched Family Guy for last 2 weeks and it is a shrunk screen with letterbox and pillars even though the Fox logo is sitting in the pillar (looks like the HD logo).  Funny thing is Commercials is fine (of course) I wonder if this is a problem of the DIgital switch?  Another interesting thing I noticed is I am recording the local Fox channel (non-HD) but it records HD version of the channel... very odd.

By the way I am in DC area.  Is there a way to report these issues, or is it not even worth it? 

0 Likes
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

I noticed this as well.  Was watching heros and it was full screen where it used to be letterboxed (Im not sure if it was letterboxed on Fios or Charter....just know I used to see a leterboxed STD-Def picture).  I then tuned in the HD channel (507) and it was letterboxed there.  Generally I watch the HD channels (on my standard def TV...it has the DVR) instead of the STD-Def channels since they look so much better and are letterboxed.

-ak 

0 Likes
rexxriot
So, is this ever going to be fixed, or do I just have to live with people being cut offscreen when they're talking?
0 Likes
Dennish
This problem started for me last week with the new 1.6.2 update.  Before the update I could adjust to have full screen or 16:9 using the TV controls.  Now full screen is way too big.  As if the picture has increased by 25%.  Verizon Tech was of little help as they recomended playing with all of my TV picture size options.  Nothing corrected the problem.  Was good before 1.6.2, now not so good.  Any other recommendations, or wait for next update?
0 Likes