Local TV w/o STB or FIOS TV 1
PeterK

Hi:

I would like to be able to view and pay for local TV without a STB or a FIOS TV 1 streaming box.  Verizon used to be able to enable local TV on the cable and then feed it into the TV tuner directly.  Recent chats with Verizon sales indicate that is no longer possible.  Is that due to a change in data on the fiber or an inexperienced sales rep?

I have tried OTA antennas with mixed results.  Local TV streaming from Hulu, AT&T TV is expensive and includes alot of channels we do not watch, yet pay for.  Can someone from Verizon reply with the real story ?  Thanks

Peter

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Local TV w/o STB or FIOS TV 1
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just went online like I was ordering new service. I selected 200/200 for Internet and Local TV at $40 with no STBs. The rep you talked to was misinformed. 

You can try and see if @VerizonSupport on Twitter or VZ Direct at dslreports.com can help.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not from Verizon,  but you should be able to hook the coax cable from the wall into the antenna input of your TV, and scan for channels. You have to pay for basic cable, nothing is free. Set the TV to antenna input, go to channel scan, set it to cable not OTA and you should have a decent number of channels. Your TV will show a lot more if its capable of decoding MPEG4.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is 100% possible and my mom has it. It’s called FiOS TV Local. She pays $25 for it the local TV service. There’s no box, just connect to the coax ok your TV and scan like clem said. 

PeterK

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the replies thus far.  Like I said in my original post the Verizon rep said that local TV on the fibre is no longer offered w/o a cable box or FIOS TV 1.   Maybe it was a sales tactic or it could be related to a switch in networks that was done during a recent FIOS speed upgrade.  The Technician that came out to do the speed and ONT upgrade left for a few minutes to switch our fibre at the junction box for the neighborhood.  He said we were on the "old network" and he needed to put us on the "new network" in order to get the higher speed. 

Maybe the "new network" has local TV encrypted on the fibre and the STB or FIOS TV 1 is required to decode the data to feed to the QAM tuner ?  A simple answer from VZW would be nice.  I'm not asking for the formula for cold fusion.  I just want to give Verizon the fee instead of AT&T or Hulu.  Thanks

Peter

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kapinos wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the replies thus far.  Like I said in my original post the Verizon rep said that local TV on the fibre is no longer offered w/o a cable box or FIOS TV 1.   Maybe it was a sales tactic or it could be related to a switch in networks that was done during a recent FIOS speed upgrade.  The Technician that came out to do the speed and ONT upgrade left for a few minutes to switch our fibre at the junction box for the neighborhood.  He said we were on the "old network" and he needed to put us on the "new network" in order to get the higher speed. 

Maybe the "new network" has local TV encrypted on the fibre and the STB or FIOS TV 1 is required to decode the data to feed to the QAM tuner ?  A simple answer from VZW would be nice.  I'm not asking for the formula for cold fusion.  I just want to give Verizon the fee instead of AT&T or Hulu.  Thanks

Peter

Have you tried hooking up the cable to your TV, setting it to cable instead of ANT and doing a channel scan? Supposedly only pay channels are encrypted.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just went online like I was ordering new service. I selected 200/200 for Internet and Local TV at $40 with no STBs. The rep you talked to was misinformed. 

You can try and see if @VerizonSupport on Twitter or VZ Direct at dslreports.com can help.