Lost spdif optical audio output after 1.7.1 (Build 09.97) upgrade.
JustPassingBy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Has anyone else lost spdif optical audio output after their HD DVR (QIP-6416) was updated to 1.7.1 (Build 09.97)?

I was watching TV this morning (~3AM EST 3/16/10), when I get the DVR reset.

I subsquently go the following prompts on the DVR:

DL : Download - means STB is downloading firmware / software, should only happen after an update or new STB plugged in.
FP : Programming flash memory - again, after the reinitialize

After the system rebooted, I lost sound to my receiver over the SPDIF optical output (when it was working immediately prior to the update), although it still worked over HDMI and the Self Diagnostics passed.

Unfortunately, I do not have HDMI on my receiver, only the TV which has poor audio quality in comparison.

I am not a happy camper at this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
[fixed] Re: Lost spdif optical audio output after 1.7.1 (Build 09.97) upgrade [QIP6416-2].
JustPassingBy
Enthusiast - Level 2

For better or worse, the first level of Verizon Fios TV chat support was not much help [sent trouble ticket off to network group after they originally suggested that I swap boxes Smiley Surprised], so I resorted to solving this on my own Smiley Sad

For some reason, the 1.7.1 (Build 09.97) whacked my spdif optical output out of commission on my QIP6416-2.

I was able to restore it by going to the hidden Motorola 'User Settings'  [see below] and modifying the 'Additional HDMI Settings' to re-enable the output, which could not be fixed by just resetting the box.

1) Original [HDMI worked, Optical spdif did not]

HDMI/DVI MODE: HDMI
Color Space: RGB
Audio Output: AUTO

2) Toggled setting [HDMI did not work, Optical spdif worked]

HDMI/DVI MODE: DVI
Audio Output: N/A

3) Toggled setting back to original [HDMI worked, Optical spdif worked]

For reference, this page is really handy:

What Information Can My Set-Top Box Tell Me (#15925)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15925

Your FiOS (and cable TV) Set-Top Box (STB) is a device that needs to be able to process signals in real-time, record (if you have a DVR), respond to your remote, and send video and audio out to your display and stereo in a number of different formats.

There's a lot of information that your STB would like to tell you. It's available in the Diagnostic menu. You don't really need to know about this menu. But for those with a technical curiosity, or, need to troubleshoot something, this is the menu for you.

If you are looking to change your STB's output resolution, aspect ratio, closed captioning, or HDMI advanced settings; that's the setup menu. With the STB On, hit "Power, Select, Menu" in quick sequence.

To enter the diagnostics menu: With your STB powered On, hit "Power, Select, Select" quickly in sequence from the front panel or remote. To exit the menu, hit "Power" to turn off the STB. The next power up will be back to normal.

I wish there was a top level menu (similar to my PS3) which would allow direct access to the HDMI/SPDIF audio output settings.  It would have made things a lot easier.

-jpb

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Lost spdif optical audio output after 1.7.1 (Build 09.97) upgrade.
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

I can only say that I did not run into this issue with my optical output to my receiver when I received the upgrade.  I have the 7216 STB though.  This may be an obvious question, but have you tried unplugging the optical cable and plugging it back in?  I know that shouldn't have been impacted, but it may be worth a try.  Do you have any other optical cables to test?  Or do you have any other devices that use optical to plug into your receiver to isolate the issue being with the STB?  Again, based on your description, it sounds like something with the STB, but it doesn't hurt to try out some other easier tests first.  Good luck.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I too received the upgrade to 997 on the 6416 and just tested my SPDIF optical to my receiver and it worked fine.  I wasn't watching TV when the upgrade occurred.  Maybe try to power everything down; receiver and STB and then power everything back on and see if that works.  If it doesn't work try calling Verizon and ask them to resend the upgrade.

Jim

0 Likes
JustPassingBy
Enthusiast - Level 2

BrianC & jumpin68ny

Thanks for the suggestions.

The irritating thing is that I had to reset all of my equipment after a power failure the day before and got everything verified/working.

This included my HD DVR (optical), PS3 (optical) and DVD (coax).

After the firmware download, only the sound on the HD DVR when south.

The funny thing is that immediately after the upgrade, the remote was totally unresponsive, even after a hard reboot (i.e. unplug 5 min/re-plug).  After a period of time, it came responsive again, so it is possible that it had not totally initialized yet, but does make we wonder if resending the update might help.

Before I went back and re-verified everything and contacted support, I wanted to make sure this was not specific to the update or missing some new audio option (for instance, on my PS3 I need to specifically send audio out spdif instead of hdmi).

For kicks, I'll also the VZ In Home Agent Auto Fix when I get home to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
[fixed] Re: Lost spdif optical audio output after 1.7.1 (Build 09.97) upgrade [QIP6416-2].
JustPassingBy
Enthusiast - Level 2

For better or worse, the first level of Verizon Fios TV chat support was not much help [sent trouble ticket off to network group after they originally suggested that I swap boxes Smiley Surprised], so I resorted to solving this on my own Smiley Sad

For some reason, the 1.7.1 (Build 09.97) whacked my spdif optical output out of commission on my QIP6416-2.

I was able to restore it by going to the hidden Motorola 'User Settings'  [see below] and modifying the 'Additional HDMI Settings' to re-enable the output, which could not be fixed by just resetting the box.

1) Original [HDMI worked, Optical spdif did not]

2) Toggled setting [HDMI did not work, Optical spdif worked]

HDMI/DVI MODE: DVI
Audio Output: N/A

3) Toggled setting back to original [HDMI worked, Optical spdif worked]

For reference, this page is really handy:

What Information Can My Set-Top Box Tell Me (#15925)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15925

Your FiOS (and cable TV) Set-Top Box (STB) is a device that needs to be able to process signals in real-time, record (if you have a DVR), respond to your remote, and send video and audio out to your display and stereo in a number of different formats.

There's a lot of information that your STB would like to tell you. It's available in the Diagnostic menu. You don't really need to know about this menu. But for those with a technical curiosity, or, need to troubleshoot something, this is the menu for you.

If you are looking to change your STB's output resolution, aspect ratio, closed captioning, or HDMI advanced settings; that's the setup menu. With the STB On, hit "Power, Select, Menu" in quick sequence.

To enter the diagnostics menu: With your STB powered On, hit "Power, Select, Select" quickly in sequence from the front panel or remote. To exit the menu, hit "Power" to turn off the STB. The next power up will be back to normal.

I wish there was a top level menu (similar to my PS3) which would allow direct access to the HDMI/SPDIF audio output settings.  It would have made things a lot easier.

-jpb

0 Likes