Mesh Routers and FIOS Television?
SkiKat1

I have been reading various blogs to try to educate myself about mesh routers. I use a Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router/modem for my Internet and television. In reading these postings, my understanding is that in order to use a mesh router (e.g., Eero), I would have to connect it to the Verizon gateway router and bridge them. However, if I bridge the FiOS router, I would lose some of the television features such as the channel lineup and On Demand programs

I have been told by one Verizon technician that I would lose those features, but another Verizon technician told me that that was not the case. Which is accurate?! Importantly, would I lose television features with all mesh routers or only certain brands or models?

Also, it seems that the various operations that are necessary to link the Verizon router to the mesh router system are complicated. Verizon does not offer technical assistance for equipment that they don't sell.

Posts on this website seem to be very technical, detailed. I'd appreciate any responses being geared toward a novice. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mesh Routers and FIOS Television?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no one size fits all answer to your question. If you want the Eero as primary then you need ethernet from the ONT to the Eero's WAN port. Then LAN port will then con connect to the G1100 LAN port and the G1100 IP needs to be changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X and the DHCP server has to be turned off. Basically you want the G1100 and the set-top boxes to be on the same subnet as the Eero. Guide and OnDemand will work fine but some users complain that remote DVR on the FIOS app doesn't work. 

You can also leave the G1100 as primary and just con connect the Eero to the G1100. This will cause a double NAT and will cause issues with VPNs and online gaming. It really depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

View solution in original post

Re: Mesh Routers and FIOS Television?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no one size fits all answer to your question. If you want the Eero as primary then you need ethernet from the ONT to the Eero's WAN port. Then LAN port will then con connect to the G1100 LAN port and the G1100 IP needs to be changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X and the DHCP server has to be turned off. Basically you want the G1100 and the set-top boxes to be on the same subnet as the Eero. Guide and OnDemand will work fine but some users complain that remote DVR on the FIOS app doesn't work. 

You can also leave the G1100 as primary and just con connect the Eero to the G1100. This will cause a double NAT and will cause issues with VPNs and online gaming. It really depends on what exactly you are trying to do.