Missing the end of DVR shows
Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very frustrating issue here.  Seems probably 80-90% of everything we DVR on 2 different units typically has the last 10-20sec cut off.  I realize this can happen from time to time because of a mis-match between broadcast schedules and actual show timing but we have it in the overwhelming majority of everything we record which can easily be 6-10 shows every day.  Extending the record time isn't an option in most cases because we often have 2 shows back to back and that would cause a conflict.  We rarely had this issue with our previous provider. I find it hard to believe this doesn't drive others crazy as well.

Re: Missing the end of DVR shows
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the frustration this is causing. You are right on your points the possible mismatch between guide and actual broadcast timing. In case the clock is slightly off causing it to not line up correctly, that can be reset and the time re-downloaded from our servers. Once it downloads to the box, its the boxes responsibility to keep it going and could be getting slightly off at a slow rate. To fix autofix this, press menu, then go to CUSTOMER SUPPORT, then IN HOME AGENT, then SET TOP BOX AUTO CORRECTION. Please let us know if further assistance is required.

kenkimg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been a real annoyance for nearly a year for us.  At least 2/3 of our recordings are cut off prematurely anywhere from 15-30 seconds before end of show.  Also please note the recording begins EARLY (before the intended show begins), about the same amount of time.

I compared the time readout on the front of my Motorola QIP 7232-2 HDDVR with an atomic clock, and it was spot on.  So it appears the clock is properly sync'ed and not the issue.  (Also rebooted/reset the box, to no avail.)  As a totally unsatisfactory workaround, I add one minute to the scheduled recording time of shows, which involves a procedure of repetitious keystrokes on the remote for EACH show.  Sometimes the box does not permit an extension due to back to back scheduled recordings on the same station, or two recordings at once at the end of the show. Additional steps are then required to try and find and record the show on the Guide at a different time slot. Even more steps are necessary to create a manual recording.

To fix the problem, we need an update to the DVR firmware that provides an overlag of recording time of approximately 90 seconds for each scheduled recording made from the Guide.  This is similar to how the DirecTV HDDVR boxes behave, and believe me they are much, MUCH less frustrating (almost no show endings cut off).

kenkimg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anybody from Verizon interested in responding to this?  The DVR is early in starting and early in ending most recordings, but the clock is exactly on time.  Due to the large number of programs from various stations that experience this, I don't think broadcast timing is the issue either.  As per my previous post, DirecTv has shown it is technically possible to automatically expand the recording by 60-90 seconds beyond the scheduled end time.  Could you do this in a future firmware update?

Alternatively how about adding a feature that allows the user to alter the DVR clock forward or backward up to a couple of minutes.  What do you think, Verizon?

tns
Master - Level 2

15 to 30 seconds missing.

Lots of reasons.

The Beginning of ending of shows in the guide are only to the nearest minute.

Ever turn on two TV's one on FIOS and the other the same channel over the air?  Quite a noticable difference between where they are.

Also DVR's typically add a few seconds as well.  Try a TV on STB and another on the DVR.

Making matters worse is that many networks regularly violate their own schedules on purpose.  Having shows go 1 to 5 minutes long or starting 1 to 5 minutes early.

Actually I have had much less trouble of this with FIOS vs Directv and DISH, which I had before FIOS came to my area.  The Dish guide usually only started are ended at the nearest 5 minutes although they did have an automatic pad, the pad not being available if you were recording multiple shows right after the first show.

jbahlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to know why the shows have different lengths when the shows should all be (with some exceptions) 30 minutes or 1hr.  I see many shows that are only 29minutes and 30seconds with no show being recorded after it.  

With my old DVR from dish the default setting was to add 1 minute to the beginning and 3 minutes to the end just in case, if a show was set to record after, it would stop right on time instead of the 3minutes after.    This would be something that would help in many cases.  

0 Likes
kenkimg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was a DirecTv subscriber for over 10 years and never had the cutoff issues that exist with Verizon's QIP-7232 DVR. With 80-90 percent of the shows' endings from various stations getting cutoff, the culprit's not broadcast timing. It appears the recording system designers didn't make enough allowance for small timing variations. Or there may be a flat-out glitch in the Verizon system recording timing.

Seems like the most reasonable patch fix is to add a feature (perhaps to the "In-Home Agent" menu), allowing the user to modify the DVR's clock to be ahead or behind by, say, up to 120 seconds.  That would do it!  Especially in these situations where the timing error is the same and repeats on most show recordings. Yes I know Verizon will replace the DVR, but there go all my recordings and the fix is not guaranteed (might end up with no recorded shows and same problem).

So how about adding a clock adjustment feature, Verizon?

bevross
Contributor - Level 1

There's a setting on the DVR to add plus and/or minus 5 minutes to recording times (check the recordings menu).  I've done this and mostly solves the issue. I'd rather have to skip thru beginning and ending commercials then miss show start & stops!

0 Likes
kenkimg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that info, but can't find where in the menu structure that is (have only one box, QIP-7232-2 DVR).  Could you be more specific... thanks.

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

Check around in the DVR menu. You can set this for individual recordings, entire series, or ALL recordings. 

http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/troubleshooting/set+top+boxes+and+dvrs/questi...

... you can set your DVR to record a few minutes before or after a program's scheduled broadcast time.

To change the length of recording time for a scheduled recording:

1.Press the Menu button on the remote control and select DVR.
2.Select View Schedule.
3.Select the recording in the list and choose Modify Start & End Time.
4.Select the Minutes Early or Minutes Late field. Using the arrow keys, add how many minutes earlier or later you want the DVR to record.
5.Select Save.

To change the length of recording time for a Series Recording:

1.Press the Menu button on the remote control and select DVR.
2.Select Series Manager.
3.Select Manual Series.
4.Select Modify Series.
5.Select Start or End and choose from the options provided to change the recording length of your scheduled Series Recording.
6.Select Yes to accept the modification you've just made.

0 Likes