Re: NASA TV on Roku
goldfinger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a Roku box recently.  I wanted to get into streaming for techno geek reasons, but NASA TV was the straw that broke the camel's back.

NASA TV streams great over Verizon Internet even through the their lowly g router.  I can even beat up on the router by running speed test while streaming.  Some content looks SD, but mostly HD and anything from space station is HD quality.  You have to watch a 15 second commercial one time when you start the stream.

I didn't realize how badly I was missing NASA TV.  Had it when I was a Dish customer.  Today I watched a video taken on the 13th from the space station.  They were testing out robonaut!  First motion backed up with commentary from its creators and you missed it because you don't have NASA TV.

Also, movies and other content look great.  I've only had this thing two weeks.  In that time I've streamed a few movies from Amazon and Crackle in stunning HD quality and surround sound.  Many other services are available.  No need for Verizon VOD anymore.

prisaz
Legend

Yes I would agree with Joe in regards to the channel vote board, but that was six months ago, in regards to adding channels. I don't see much action on either issue. More smoke? I suppose that 1.9 and the strike had really knocked the wind out of the sails? Depending on how you view the issues. Some good things about 1.9 from what I hear, but also some complaints about contrasts. From what I see, if the GIANT icons were a bit smaller, a longer timeline could be fit on the guide. Looks like the newer Tivo I sent back. Whoops off topic sorry.Smiley Sad

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Its suspected, but not confirmed, that some of the additions are waiting on 1.9 to complete its migration.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tns wrote:

Its suspected, but not confirmed, that some of the additions are waiting on 1.9 to complete its migration.

Your probably right, and then those with the "OLD" hardware can pay for new hardware to get the channels with the MPG4 format. Just my suspected solution. Anyone that wants added content will need to pay for an upgrade to get it, and be done with the old 2500 or 6xxx hardware. I wonder what the bundles will be called after the 1.9 roll out is finished. I suspect it will be done just in time for Black Friday so all those new 3D sets will sell because of possible added channels most of us don't want in 3d. How about just some of the HD that we don't have.

Just my guess.

0 Likes