Re: New Programming​g Guide SUCKS (rolled out 9/28/11) - Verizon
WraithDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

My DVR was "upgraded" last night and I had to sign up for this forum to agree that this new guide SUCKS! Why does everything have to be updated to the latest crap style? The old guide was easier to read and navigate. I truly believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. I love the FiOS internet service, but I am going to have to look into other DVR options and just get the $5 cable card option for my TV. I'm also going to be moving in 6 months and was looking for a place with FiOS. Well, that is just not as important to me now if this new guide is what I have to put up with. I even work for Verizon and can see that this is one of the reasons why the wireline division is going down in flames. The overpaid executives that make these decisions think new is better when it's not. I want my old guide back or I'm done with the Verizon DVR service.

prisaz
Legend

I love my guide! It is quite nice with the HD 7100 and 7200 boxes, even when used on a 4:3 ratio TV. You must have the correct settings for the box. I believe the larget complaints are from SD users and people with older STB hardware. Mine looks great. Give it a chance and try the video and guide settings.

Re: New Programmin​g Guide SUCKS (rolled out 9/28/11) - Verizon
NOVA118
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, those colors are horrible!  It's hard on the eyes to try to read.  I wish there was an option to keep the old colors.  It does look like the font is slightly larger, but the colors make it harder to read from the same distance away. 

I will give FIOS kudos for the added function to operate the DVR from any TV.  I always wondered why that wasn't already a function.

asinopelk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Something that I haven't seen mentioned.

Under the previous guide, when you were watching a channel and you pressed the guide or favorites button the guide would come up centered on the channel you were watching.

Under the new guide, it comes up centered on a channel a few numbers above or a few numbers below the one you are watching.

This is very annoying.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Also, are there any instructions regarding the options available under "settings"?

prisaz
Legend

@asinopelk wrote:

Something that I haven't seen mentioned.

Under the previous guide, when you were watching a channel and you pressed the guide or favorites button the guide would come up centered on the channel you were watching.

Under the new guide, it comes up centered on a channel a few numbers above or a few numbers below the one you are watching.

This is very annoying.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Also, are there any instructions regarding the options available under "settings"?

Yes. It seems to be on the SD boxes. QIP-2500 and everyone hopes will be fixed soon because it is annoying.. The answer is to upgrade your box to an HD box that works just fine on a SD TV, but I know it is not the best answer, and also increases cost. But only by a couple dollars if you have more than one box. Like my previous post says, look for the 7100 or above series HD box.

0 Likes
WkdPanda
Enthusiast - Level 2

This 'new' guide was just rolled out to my service.  It is BAD BAD BAD

This is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO USE FOR THE VISUALLY CHALLENGED!!  My brother is partially blind, and the new format is horrible.

At least allow an option for the old menu!! 

tns
Master - Level 2

Known bug especially if you are using Favorites.

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

My 2 6416 STB's do not allow the guide to be viewed in full screen mode.  They appear to be stuck in SD view.  Alos the information bar does not show up full screen either.  I was told that the 6416 STB's are not capable of showing the guide in HD mode and that I would have to upgrade to a 6xxx series STB.  This is becoming challenging.  I first had to go through all the troubleshooting steps on the phone with tech suport but that did not work.  Finally I was told here that the 6416 boxes would not work correctly in HD or fill up the screen.  Hopefully soon I will get the upgraded boxes and all will be well, until next time.

0 Likes
Bill19461
Enthusiast - Level 1

The new system sucks.

I only subscribe to the basic TV package, although I also have telephone and internet included.

The new system is slower, a lot slower than the old version.

The light gray on white icons are dumb. Even a student in basic 101 design knows better.

The guide if set to my favorites starts every time at channel 3. If I remove the setting it will start at the channel I am watching but will also display all the other channels that I do not subscribe to.

Apparently the system is filled with flaws because when I called customer service to resolve this problem I could hear the frustration in the customer service rep's voice.

Bottom line this new system is still full of flaws and should never have been put into service.

mcb01
Enthusiast - Level 2

You know, you can make the channel guide appear the same way as it was before with the program listings shown horizontally. It's somewhere in the settings. What I don't like about the new interface is the scrolling that occurs when you move up and down through a menu. It is slow and choppy. Otherwise, the new interface is much better and the color scheme much improved.

0 Likes