Re: New Programmin​g Guide SUCKS (rolled out 9/28/11) - Verizon
Justin46
Legend

@Bill1946 wrote:

The new system sucks.

I only subscribe to the basic TV package, although I also have telephone and internet included.

The new system is slower, a lot slower than the old version.

The light gray on white icons are dumb. Even a student in basic 101 design knows better.

The guide if set to my favorites starts every time at channel 3. If I remove the setting it will start at the channel I am watching but will also display all the other channels that I do not subscribe to.

Apparently the system is filled with flaws because when I called customer service to resolve this problem I could hear the frustration in the customer service rep's voice.

Bottom line this new system is still full of flaws and should never have been put into service.

I do not agree with your statement about the flaws. I have had 1.9 for three months or so now and I find it works absolutely great. It works very fast, just as fast as 1.8 did, I love the new colors, much fresher and just as easy to read, and the Guide never starts on channel 3 with my Favorites. So I have not seen any of your issues, the only specific issue I have right now is the channel info box that pops up when you change channels covers 1/3 of the screen when I don't think it needs to take that much space, and it stays on the screen too long, about 10 seconds; I think we need some user settings to control how the channel info box works.

Now, what model STB(s) do you have? 1.9 does not work well on the older 6xxx boxes. If that is what you have then you should contact Verizon and request new boxes.

And what settings do you have for  the Guide and your Favorites? Perhaps something needs to be changed if you have a current 7xxx STB(s).

Keller, TX 76248

Justin46
Legend

@mcb01 wrote:

You know, you can make the channel guide appear the same way as it was before with the program listings shown horizontally. It's somewhere in the settings. What I don't like about the new interface is the scrolling that occurs when you move up and down through a menu. It is slow and choppy. Otherwise, the new interface is much better and the color scheme much improved.

What model STB(s) do you have? I do not see that scrolling problem on any of my 7xxx STBs.

Otherwise, I agree with you Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Alan_Joann
Enthusiast - Level 1

Could not agree more with the comments posted here about the "Extreme Makeover" of the new programming guide.

Please consider what you've done a "FAILED", non-supported customer test and please change the programming guide back to what we were using on FIOS.

BetteCarlson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got Fios this week and I find the guide to be very difficult to use. If they want to keep what they have that is ok for the people who want it but what would be wrong with just an "A, B, C etc." listing and let us go through the list (it does take some time) and see what is available.  How can I search if I don't know what I want to search for?  The response time is slow and I either press the button too many times or not enough. I feel spastic with the remote.  Also when I have taken the time to go through and select the favorites (the channels I am enrolled in) the guide shows me everything and when I click on it, thinking I have that channel or they wouldn't be showing it to me, I get a message that I don't have that.  I cannot "exit" that message with the exit button and it gets stuck there.

Also I did not get a "manual" with my Fios setup for either the TV or the Remote.  I asked for one at the Verizon store the other day and got a channel lineup which is what I did get.  I have tried the channel with the "help" but they talk fast, and I cannot select the help that I want so I have not seen the things I want to see.  I look on line and I am having difficulty finding the topics.  i.e., I set the closed captioning and "save" it but most channels don't show the CC and it also changes it to some level I didn't ask for.  If I could look in the manual I could see what the different options C1, C2, C3 etc mean.  Using this system is exhausting to me.  I had another service before this and it was so simple and good but I wanted the discount to sign up for Fios and the package Verizon offered.

I have run out of ink on my printer trying to print out manuals which are not describing for example what the bright light on the HdDVR means....or anything else. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@BetteCarlson wrote:

I just got Fios this week and I find the guide to be very difficult to use. If they want to keep what they have that is ok for the people who want it but what would be wrong with just an "A, B, C etc." listing and let us go through the list (it does take some time) and see what is available.  How can I search if I don't know what I want to search for?  The response time is slow and I either press the button too many times or not enough. I feel spastic with the remote.  Also when I have taken the time to go through and select the favorites (the channels I am enrolled in) the guide shows me everything and when I click on it, thinking I have that channel or they wouldn't be showing it to me, I get a message that I don't have that.  I cannot "exit" that message with the exit button and it gets stuck there.

Also I did not get a "manual" with my Fios setup for either the TV or the Remote.  I asked for one at the Verizon store the other day and got a channel lineup which is what I did get.  I have tried the channel with the "help" but they talk fast, and I cannot select the help that I want so I have not seen the things I want to see.  I look on line and I am having difficulty finding the topics.  i.e., I set the closed captioning and "save" it but most channels don't show the CC and it also changes it to some level I didn't ask for.  If I could look in the manual I could see what the different options C1, C2, C3 etc mean.  Using this system is exhausting to me.  I had another service before this and it was so simple and good but I wanted the discount to sign up for Fios and the package Verizon offered.

I have run out of ink on my printer trying to print out manuals which are not describing for example what the bright light on the HdDVR means....or anything else. 

Bette,

I responded to your post on the Ideas blog before I found your post here. Wish I had seen this first. But I do ask that you go take a look at what I posted, and check out the document I linked there, it will hopefully help you regarding setting up and using Favorites.

You should have received a manual with the remote. It is a small booklet and is focused on seting it up for your TV. If you did not get that booklet, here is a link (presuming the remote you received is the P265 (Model printed on the back of the remote), which I think is the only remote Verizon is now offering):

https://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiostv/remote+controls/setup/questionsone/127937.htm

As to the CC codes, there are standards for the supplying different Closed Captioning options, particularly languages. The various codes allow you to select the one that fits your needs. In most cases, for English speakers, CC1 or CC2 is appropriate. You can set the value via the Menu, but you can change it any time you want with the CC button on the Remote (actually the button with the "*" on it, but on the body of the remote it says CC . Pressing the button will display the current setting, pressing it repeatedly cycles through the various options.

There would not be a manual from Verizon for the TV, that comes from the manufacturer.

What model DVR do you have? What type of TV? How are they connected? I don't have a "bright light" on my DVR, so I have no idea what you are referring to. And I don't understand what your issues are with searching, can you explain more clearly?

FiOS TV may be more complex than what you had before, but I bet it has a lot more function. It is really easy to use, you just need to slow down and address one issue at a time. There are folks here that can help, so please, be patient.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
OLiGOPOLiESsuck
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will add my voice to this Guide Sucks issue. I read long ago that one complaint voice counts for fifty-two who think similarly but don't voice their dismay. So consider 51 other voices echoing the following:

And.. it's not just the guide, the remote now works EVEN MORE poorly. The 'last' button will get me to the last channel and back without stopping, I have to hit it 4 or 5 times before it will stay on the 'last' channel. How wonderful is that to deal with? it sucks.

Here is another step backwards...Now you make me hit favorites every single time I hit the guide, Why? oh I'm sure some brilliant one said, default to all channels because If they have to look at what's on the other channels they aren't paying for, they will want to upgrade and give us more money. Bottom line is always more important than customer satisfaction in Oligopolies. Squeeeeeze them.

How about the DELAY when hitting a button on the remote? 2011 and 8 feet from the TV and I have to time the button pushes? That is not improving technology  - that is either buying cheap product, writing lousy code or finding a subtle way to frustrate people. My remotes for the past 30 years have never had a milisecond delay. Why does FIOS - the light speed - have a remote delay??? Answer me that batman. (for the 10th time LISTEN PLEASE: IT'S NOT MY BATTERIES). Try this, Primary: Remote to TV= immediate response (customer happy), Secondary: FIOS box to information aggregating servers = delay (the 5 second delay won't cost you lost revenue).

Look, if I am still being FORCED TO SQUINT when my 'deal' is up in a couple of Months I'll sadly be switching back to the other Oligopoly Cxxcrap. Or if any promising young grassroots upstart wants to compete with these mega-corps,  they will get my money.

But alas the good Verizon will fix the irritating deficiencies with greatest speed and satisfy these silly complaints. Yes?

PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will add my voice of discontent over the recent "upgrade" to IMG 1.9 which I never asked for and for which I have no need. I just got off of a live chat with a Verizon rep and got no satisfaction except being told that the upgrade cannot be changed or reverted, so I'm stuck with it. My problems are as follows:

1. The listings come up every time as ALL channels and I must change to favorites.
  2. When I switch to favorites the list starts at the bottom, not where I am now tuned.
  3. When I select a future show, the default is not to set a reminder, but to watch now (which is not a valid option).

So, after reading the outcry on this forum, maybe there is a way to change the setup so it is more like it was before, or maybe a new STB may help.

I also agree that the color scheme is horrible. I have good eyes but my screen is small and it is just harder to read. Maybe somebody thinks it's cute or stylish, and I suppose some whiz kid had to justify his salary by changing things according to his/her idea of fashion, but I think it sucks.

tpg2
Enthusiast - Level 1

With one exception, I am indifferent to the look and feel of the new guide.  That exception, however, is serious  - the font colors and sizes.  With glasses, I have 20/20 vision and yet I have to squint to discern the white font on the light blue background.  My wife's vision is only 20/40 and she cannot read the white on blue.  Too bad that the "Americans With Disabilities Act" doesn't apply here, since I'm getting tired of squinting and having to read the menu choices to her.

Verizon  - please provide a way of setting up an alternate font/background choice!

questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

tpg, you're describing the exact same problem I was having with mine and I'll bet it's because your TV is analog.  If your TV is analog with the tube in the back, the resolution is limited and unable to really handle the HD graphics.  I replaced my old analog TV with a flatscreen and now the display is so much better. I have 20/20 vision with glasses too. 

It's kind of funny how I resolved this issue for myself almost a month ago and posted about it while the same exact complaints rage on and on.  If you leave your existing setup alone with an analog TV and don't do anything about it, you will continue to be unhappy.  The choice is yours.  The other thing is that if your TV is already a flatscreen, then the settings are probably too high (i.e. brightness, contrast, and so forth).

I stopped responding to all of this a long time ago but I thought this might help.  I have no idea if people are only interested in complaining or are looking for a solution to the problem. 

0 Likes
OLiGOPOLiESsuck
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey questioning has it right ! When ever an Oligopoly updates their product - Buy a new product that it will work on! We have to get with the program. We'll be helping the economy and yet another corporations earnings by buying a 48" flatscreen. Or better yet a 3-D 70", I cant seem to find that Aquos 108"  anymore but I'm sure they have dropped the $150,000.00 price tag by now, shoot its already an antique at 4 years old. By the way we will even have to pay to get rid of that old CRT clunker TV nowadays that should also help the economy right! What are we talking a few hundred dollars? Everyone on the planet has a few hundred dollars they can spend on a big new flatscreen so they can read the Guide right, If I don't have a few hundred dollars for a big new flatscreen well theres got to be something wrong with me right? The choice is mine. Oh yeah - complaining isn't a solution. So there isn't even a Choice!