Re: No contract with WPXI the local NBC affiliate
KLP12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spoke to a Verizon representative yesterday via Verizon Fios chat to make a formal complaint and raised that very question.  I was provided with a $10 credit for this month and told if an agreement was not met shortly they would “surely” provide some kind of compensation. 

Verizon has no issue raising consumer prices drastically once “new customer” contracts expire.  So I couldn’t care less that the same is happening to them.  

Irish130
Enthusiast - Level 1

You people don't seem to understand. Most of you are saying your ready to switch providers. If Verizon gives in, what do you think is going to happen when Comcast contract is up? NBC will pull the same thing and you will end up paying a higher bill. Then you'll be ready to switch providers again. If they can't come to terms, then just switch your input to antenna and watch for free anyway. I did it to watch the Bridgestone classic hockey game yesterday.

jsgpu933
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agree.  A couple additional points - this is Verizon vs Cox Media not NBC so the increase fee is for the local affiliate. Cox was essentially bought out by Apollo Global Mgmt.  The intent was for Apollo to increase revenue by increasing affiliate fees hence the issue we are dealing with.

you also point out the flaw in this - it can be free for most of us with an had antennae. In addition, there are other alternatives namely streaming services that bypasses the local affiliates. I have no issue losing WPXI but I do have an issue losing NBC content

Verizon and Cox are apparently oblivious that this pricing model will be to the detriment of both companies. It is an antiquated solution, to a rapidly changing landscape.   To use an aforementioned analogy, this is like Blockbuster pulling rentals from their shelves over a dispute with the movie distributors and thereby encouraging the same customer of both to look for alternatives that exclude both parties from the value chain.

Sounds like you have one foot out the door with the antennae. 

Caligirlinpa

if I don’t have WPXI back on my tv by Friday I’m leaving FIOS. I just switched out my cell phone from Verizon after 13 years, don’t try me FIOS.

0 Likes
GameOver
Enthusiast - Level 2

Time to dive feet first into streaming.   I’m pretty sure a Hulu+ subscription can deliver WPXI to Verizon internet (only) customers right now while they have their **bleep** match with cox media group.  I see little reason to continue paying a premium for tv service and device fees on each TV when I can get the same content over the same wire for much less these days.

0 Likes
DissatisfiedVF

Exactly!  They removed 4 channels and no mention of a discount!  They removed the gameshow network last year and no discount then either!  When their costs go down, so should our bill!

0 Likes
DissatisfiedVF

Why then are we not getting a reduction in our monthly fees?  We lose a significant and substantial channel and continue to pay the same amount?  I think not.  Too many other great television options out there at significantly lower costs. 

0 Likes
Joeflaherty1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So do those of us with active Verizon FIOS contracts that included all local stations get compensated or reduced rates now that Verizon is not honoring our contract to include all local networks?  They are not honoring their end of the contract.

I understand that their cost for the stations will increase and agree that that should be something that could increase prices when a contract is renewed or for someone new who does not have a contract, but I am not getting the service I paid for.   I can not cancel the contract "Without Penalty" but they can make any changes they want - doesn't sound fair to me.

This is not the removal of a small cable station but one of the four Major Networks with no advanced warning or contingency plan for their customers. Unacceptable!

If there is no positive solution to this,  I will not be renewing my FIOS or WIRELESS contracts.  There are two many other providers and services available.

Joe

0 Likes
GameOver
Enthusiast - Level 2

Quick update:  So anyone who wants to cut the Verizon TV service in response to this can spend the next three weeks trying out alternatives while this all gets sorted out.  

0 Likes
Pissedoff23

I want wpxi back. Make it happen. Cable companies charge us a fortune for their service and now we can’t get the channels we pay for. Verizon...you have enough money. Make a deal happen. 

0 Likes