Optical Sound Not Working
MDFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using the optical connector between by STB and receiver for some time with great results. FiOS tech just replaced my 6200 with a 7100-1. Sound is good for about 10 minutes then quits working.

I've tried several optical cables (all brand new) and experience the same end result. Dobly sound for 10 minutes then nothing.

Is there an issue with the optical connection on the 7100 STB?

IMG 1.6.2

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Optical Sound Not Working
MDFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally called FiOS support (on a Thursday) and they offered to send another STB. The replacement 6200 box they sent arrived the next day - great service - but it  had a defective HDMI output so I had to call again. Rep said they would send another STB but since it's Friday it wouldn't arrive until the following Monday.

I hooked the 7100 back up and waited for the new box. Monday afternoon another 6200 was delivered. Activition worked within 10 minutes and the optical sound output has been working ever since.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Kevin
Contributor - Level 2

I have not found any known issues with the optical out on the 7100. But it's still possible that the port is having a compatibility issue with your receiver.

Next time this happens, try going into menu > settings > audio and switch the dynamic range then switch it back to see if that brings back audio.

0 Likes
MDFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Changing the audio settings did not restore sound.

After posting this I brought a 7100 from my bedroom and plugged it into the entertainment unit (wish I would have thought of this earlier). This one seems to hold the sound through the optical connection.

Based on this I'm thinking the first STB has a defective connection and needs to be replaced.

0 Likes
MDFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally called FiOS support (on a Thursday) and they offered to send another STB. The replacement 6200 box they sent arrived the next day - great service - but it  had a defective HDMI output so I had to call again. Rep said they would send another STB but since it's Friday it wouldn't arrive until the following Monday.

I hooked the 7100 back up and waited for the new box. Monday afternoon another 6200 was delivered. Activition worked within 10 minutes and the optical sound output has been working ever since.

0 Likes