Re: Picture Quality
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

The settings that are changed from the menu; menu/settings/video in the STB that has been provided since 1.6 was deployed changes the internal settings (diagnostic menu) settings as well. Therefore if the setting of the STB are 16:9 and 1080i they are the same on both menu's. I have tested this so it is not theroy or guess work, it is also not the cause of the fuzzy SD picture that has been noticeable sinse the deployment of update 1.6 build 6.89.

The update is the cause.

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

Here's what I find wierd.  All boxes are IMG 1.6.0

I have a 55" Sony Wega HDTV rear-projection LCD TV with the MR-DVR.  Since the upgrade, I too have noticed the PQ of SD and HD has suffered.  Video setting is 720P.

I have two basic CRT SDTV with SD-STB (2500) and the PQ has suffered.  Used to be bright and crisp, but now is fuzzy and milky looking.

I have a 30"  Phillips HDTV CRT TV with HD-STB (6200-2) and the PQ is AWESOME!  Video setting is 720P.  SD almost looks like HD.  HD looks awesome.  Wish all my TVs looked this good.

So I have mixed results.  Not sure if it is strictly related to the IMG upgrade, or a combo of IMG and STB.  I'm puzzled. 

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1
I think tonight I will swap the HD-STB with the MR-STB and see if it has an effect on the TV PQ itself and report back here tomorrow.  At least I can figure out if it is in fact the STB/IMG rather than my brain.
0 Likes
peecee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Techman28 wrote:

Joe01880

Yes it is possible that the settings may have changed on the IMG 1.6 upgrade.  Please double check your Video Settings found by pressing Menu, Settings, Video Settings and then selecting 1080I

Why not use 1080p?  Isn't that higher resolution?
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

AFAIK, broadcast TV doesn't support 1080p yet.  Only HD-DVD, BlueRay, and games can support 1080p.  There may be a few others that I missed, but most cable/sat providers only broadcast in 720p/1080i.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@peecee wrote:

The maximum output resolution supported by the Moto box is 1080i.  The choice depends on the viewers perception of which is sharper and the maximum resolution of the TV in question (there are a lot of 720p flat screens out there).

0 Likes
peecee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

@peecee wrote:

The maximum output resolution supported by the Moto box is 1080i.  The choice depends on the viewers perception of which is sharper and the maximum resolution of the TV in question (there are a lot of 720p flat screens out there).

I'm new to Fios, so I'm sure I've got a few things wrong.  But, if the moto only supports 1080i, why is there a 1080p choice on my menu?  I've got a 1080p-capable TV with HDMI input, so I thought putting the output up to 1080p would be the best.  I was experiencing an occasional freeze of the video for a second or two, but since putting the output up to 1080p, those freezes have gone away.

Plus, if I have an stb that is set to 1080p and I'm watching a standard def broadcast, isn't the box able to upconvert the signal from 480 to 1080p, essentially leaving the quality alone but making it work with the current input of the TV?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@peecee wrote:

I'm new to Fios, so I'm sure I've got a few things wrong.  But, if the moto only supports 1080i, why is there a 1080p choice on my menu?  I've got a 1080p-capable TV with HDMI input, so I thought putting the output up to 1080p would be the best.  I was experiencing an occasional freeze of the video for a second or two, but since putting the output up to 1080p, those freezes have gone away.

Plus, if I have an stb that is set to 1080p and I'm watching a standard def broadcast, isn't the box able to upconvert the signal from 480 to 1080p, essentially leaving the quality alone but making it work with the current input of the TV?

I've had FiOS with an HD DVR (6416-2) for a year and a half and the maximum resolution that is available is 1080i.  According to the Motorola data sheets for the 72xx series of HD boxes (the "new" boxes) 1080i is also the maximum resolution unless something has changed since I looked when the boxes were announced. Plus there is no programming at 1080p so the question becomes is the de-interlacer in your TV better than the one that might be in a STB (and I stress might since I have seen no documentation yet that shows 1080p for a Moto box)?

What STB are you using?

0 Likes
peecee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

I've had FiOS with an HD DVR (6416-2) for a year and a half and the maximum resolution that is available is 1080i.  According to the Motorola data sheets for the 72xx series of HD boxes (the "new" boxes) 1080i is also the maximum resolution unless something has changed since I looked when the boxes were announced. Plus there is no programming at 1080p so the question becomes is the de-interlacer in your TV better than the one that might be in a STB (and I stress might since I have seen no documentation yet that shows 1080p for a Moto box)?

What STB are you using?

I've got a 7216 DVR and a7100.  Both have an option to select 1080p or 1080i.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Most interesting.  I just went to Verizon's site and the Motorola manual lists 1080i as the maximum resolution for the 7200 series (can be found at User Guide PDF).

Same for the 7100 series (see page 10 of the 7200 manual and page 8 of the 7100 manual) .   Not arguing that you have a 1080p option, just quoting the documentation that is available.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 10-15-2008 03:55 PM
0 Likes