QAM tuner question
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a situation that I hope one of the more technically minded posters may lend some insight on.  I have two devices with digital tuners, one a Vizio HDTV, the other a Panasonic DVD recorder/VCR combo.  Both of the items tune in the available clear QAM channels, although of the two the TV set does a much better job of it.  We rarely use the tuner part of the TV, but do use the DVD recorder for taping network shows. 

I recently did a channel rescan on both sets to get some of the new channels programmed into them.  It went without a hitch on the Vizio, but on the Panasonic an odd thing occured.  Prior to the rescan, WCBS was recieved just fine on channel 2.1.  It would be viewable and recordable in wide screen  (though not HD, as it is not an HD unit).  After the rescan, it still indicates channel 2.1, but I get only a black screen and no sound.  The TV set tunes in 2.1 in full HD, no problem.

I kind of think the problem is mainly a sort of flaky tuner in the DVD recorder, but maybe someone else out there has had a similar experience that can be of help.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: QAM tuner question
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

what is the source of input for each?  e.g. what is feeding the signal to the both units (antenna, fios, etc), and what kind of cables are being used (coaxial, component, etc)?

additionally, you might want to check the input station is correct for the recorder prior to recording.

Message Edited by jmcohen23 on 08-13-2009 03:16 PM
0 Likes