RF Adapter
jennyth

We were thinking about purchasing a brand new tv, floor model, but they don't seem to have the RF adapter.  Do I actually need it?  I have fios.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RF Adapter
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

You do not need an RF connector on a new, HDTV. In fact, the RF cable cannot carry a High Def signal.  If you do not have HD service there will be connectors on the back of the new tv that carry the signal from the set top box.

The quality of the different interfaces as I understand it:

HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > RF

Try to get the retailer to throw in some different cables for free (if they are not included, as open-box deals can be missing basic wiring), they will overcharge you if they can.

View solution in original post

AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

You do not need an RF connector on a new, HDTV. In fact, the RF cable cannot carry a High Def signal.  If you do not have HD service there will be connectors on the back of the new tv that carry the signal from the set top box.

The quality of the different interfaces as I understand it:

HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > RF

Try to get the retailer to throw in some different cables for free (if they are not included, as open-box deals can be missing basic wiring), they will overcharge you if they can.

jennyth

Thank you SO much!

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you have FiOS, make sure the TV has HDMI inputs (hard to imagine a TV nowadays that wouldn't).   This will give you the best high-quality digital HD signal.  If by chance the cables are not included with your TV, by all means do NOT buy them from the retailer -- these are always overpriced, overhyped cables.  They will tell you that you need these expensive HDMI cables to get a good picture and that is total nonsense.   You can find inexpensive HDMI cables online from various retailers including Amazon, etc.  My favorite happens to be Monoprice.com, but there are numerous e-tailers out there which all can fill the need.

Example ... local retailer tried to sell my elderly parents a Monster brand 6ft HDMI cable for $64!  Told them they were wasting their money on a new TV if they didn't get the "best" cable to bring a sharp picture from their STB.  Fortunately they thought to call me first to see if they really needed that one .. $4.95 later with a cable from an online retailer, their new TV works just great.   

Over short distances like that, digital is digital ... it either works or it doesn't.

0 Likes