Re: Enable Ethernet port on VMS
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wish Verizon would Enable the Enable Ethernet port on the VMS.  I Have coax and ethernet in 2 rooms and ethernet in all rooms the 2 Clients are connect ethernet olny and i would like toi switch to a top of the line router but i need take the fios router out of the picture.    the olny way it would be benafical to me if i could have my setup like this

VMS via ethernet for network and coax for tv

ont  --> Non-Fios Router --->  Clients via eathernet

other devices (Computers via Ethernet and WiFi)

current setup

VMS via coax 

ont ---> Fios router --->     Clients via ethernet

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@etkastor wrote:

I wish Verizon would Enable the Enable Ethernet port on the VMS.  I Have coax and ethernet in 2 rooms and ethernet in all rooms the 2 Clients are connect ethernet olny and i would like toi switch to a top of the line router but i need take the fios router out of the picture.    the olny way it would be benafical to me if i could have my setup like this

current setup

VMS via coax 

I don't think you're going to see this.  Verizon STBs use MOCA, not Ethernet, for the required network communications.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PJL wrote:

@etkastor wrote:

current setup

VMS via coax 

I don't think you're going to see this.  Verizon STBs use MOCA, not Ethernet, for the required network communications.

The IPC boxes can be connected via ethernet.   This is what the OP is doing. The VMS box however currently still needs to be COAX and currently only the Verizon router can be used.  The VMS would still need COAX as that is how the TV channels are delivered, even if they decided to allow ethernet vs moca internet access.  The router must have the coax connected in order to provide the moca access. 

0 Likes