Really miss the free Movies on Demand
deelite926
Enthusiast - Level 2

Iv'e had Fios going on a year now -- granted, Iv'e had my fair share of problems with Verizon since I switched, but I attribute that to being in a "test" location, being one of the first in Pgh to get Fios. --

Pros --

Great picture

Great HD programming (Now that I switched from premier to Extreme HD pacakge

Cons --

Hate that every TV has to have a box, and you HAVE to rent from verizon --- I have 6 tv's in my house -- one of which is in a guest bedroom that barely gets used -- so why would I pay for a box everymonth -- stupid! --

HATE customer service -- EVERY and I do mean EVERY time I call I get shuffled around to no less than 3-4 different places, all of which keep telling me they need to transfer to me to someone else ... and it takes FOREVER to get thru.

OK, onto the real reason I am posting ---

Does anyone know when, if ever, are they going to get some "real" free movies like comcast has? I mean I can go on my in-laws on demand for comcast, and choose from like over 100 free -- GOOD movies, that people actually want to watch -- instead of this film festival crappy movies --- PLUS comcast has Encore FREE...

Why doesn't Fios offer free movies like Comcast?

0 Likes
Re: Really miss the free Movies on Demand
Boomer3880
With over 11,000 titles a month we have tons of freebies in there. And to add Comcast doesnt have more.....maybe if they lowered there on demand they wouldnt have to cut out picture quality and internet sppeds for having so much bandwidth dedicated to on demand. The boz situation is kinda understandable but once February comes around you would ahve needed a box for all your tv's anyways.....Comcast charges 6.95-9.95 for a box at least $1 more then verizon
0 Likes
deelite926
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know when you say there are over 11,000 titles on demand -- BUT -- they are either pay for, or subscription -- when you are under the "FREE MOVIES" tab -- they have nothing  like comcast does.

I can go on comcast and watch some cheesy 80's movie for free -- but on verizon, they charge for it -- I mean the movie has already been played on all the stations for the last 10 years -- and they want to charge for it?

let's be realistic here -- there are extreme slim pickings on Fios when it comes to free movies --- and i KNOW that I am not the only one who agrees. There are blogs and blogs about this same topic all over the internet, along with cnet reviews, other forums, etc...

BlurryEyed

I am also disappointed with the lack of free movies on VOD. When my FiOS was first installed a year ago (Oct. 2007), the technician was kindly demonstrating several features, and opened the VOD movie folder and started the film "Alien 3", pointing out that it was one of many free films available. Nice! After he left, I searched the entire movie folder, but all the other listings were pay per view movies. A few days later, "Alien 3" was no longer available. I don't know if that was some kind of new subscriber demo or what. Since those days, the VOD movie folder has been reorganized with movie networks like FearNet and Film Festival. Previously to FiOS, I had Time Warner, and was a big fan of their Turner Classic Movies on Demand. I guess there's little chance of FiOS ever offering that, since I believe Turner Broadcasting is owned by Time Warner. 

0 Likes
PaulneedmoreHD

What do you do at Verizon?

Can you tell me how to get to the free moves our of the 11,000 titles per month? I am (regrettably) a previous Comcast customer and perhaps I just don't how to use the navigation on the set top box. I can't seem to find any HD or otherwise free VOD movies except for the fearnet and film festival folders.  

0 Likes
deelite926
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too would like to know how -- b/c everyone is right -- Film festival??? Fearnet?? I mean come-on.

Plus -- they do have some awesome 80's classic movies -- but here's the catch -- $1.99?? you can rent a Redbox movie for $1 a night -- and they are NEW RELEASES.....

0 Likes
BlurryEyed
deelite, I'd might consider ordering a few 80's movies if they were $1.99; here in So. California they cost $2.99 each! Even the older classic films being offered, such as "Casablanca," cost $2.99. And New Releases now cost $4.99 - $5.99 to see (up from $3.99 just a month or two ago). Sadly, FiOS VOD is not a reasonable option for movies -- unless you've got money to burn. 
0 Likes
IBASEBALL
Enthusiast - Level 3
It is clear that Verizon has made the corporate decision to monetize everything that is possible to monetize.  Very few truly free movies exist now.  They have the new extreme HD package which has several SD channels not available in any other package (RFDTV-Imus, CURRENT TV-Al Gore, the 18 or so regional sports channels), is around $60.00 a month after taxes and I don't own a HD tv, but I need the package to get the SD channels I need.  Redbox is the cheapest option for movies and they give you a free movie every monday if you sign up online with an e-mail address and a cell phone to text message you a promo code.  Redbox is a brilliant business model and they have great customer service.  They hand out promo codes like candy, just call them after your registered or send them an e-mail.  I must say I love the movie package we subscribe to with FIOS.  I get 45 movie channels with that package, plus all the HD movie channels from the extreme HD package that I can only watch on my HMDVR (since we have no HD tv's in the house), plus AMC, TCM, FMC, etc...  So we have about 60 movies playing 24/7 plus all the VOD for Encore, Showtime, Starz, Sundance, The Movie Channel, and Flix.  I will never again hear my wife say "There is nothing on TV to watch". - That's Priceless as a happy wife is a happy life.
0 Likes
deelite926
Enthusiast - Level 2

Blurryeyed, your right sorry -- I checked last night 2.99 each ----

Also in response to purchasing movie packages --- our Fios and Internet bill is $120 a month without any special packages besides the Extreme HD. --- I can't account for anyone else, but I can't afford to tack on another 12.99 or more a month for a movie package, with all of the other bills we have going on --

All I was hoping for is that Verizon would throw us a few bones, and put on some free movies here eventually. 🙂

0 Likes