Replaced router, now Remote DVR will not see my DVR
mamcc2006

Similar to several other postings, but with a slight twist. My original Actiontec router gave up the ghost, and was replaced. Since then, the remote DVR functionality does not work (Set Top Box - ######### is not responding). It worked great with the original router.

So far I've attempted to have it recognized by unplugging all the other STBs in the house, kicking their DHCP connections via the router admin application, and then restarting the router to ensure it's getting the original IP it was assigned on the first router (192.168.1.100). I've disabled remote DVR access via the Menu > Settings option (which, surprisingly enough, the Remote DVR displays that it's not enabled), re-enabled the remote DVR via Menu > Settings, and then restarted the router. I've tried manually configuring the port forward as noted in one other thread, but to no avail. Remote DVR still is unable to read the disk and states it is not responding.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Replaced router, now Remote DVR will not see my DVR
sgip2000
Was your router replaced with another Actiontec or Westell?
0 Likes
mamcc2006

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in replying... vacation.  It was replaced with a newer model Actiontec MI424WR. I had what was probably an original model/version for a year+ with Internet only service; FIOS TV then became available and was added to my service. Both models can be seen here (my new version at the top, the older one further down as "figure 1").

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Have you checked the routers firmware, it may be a newer model but it may not have the updated firmware.

Log into the router and go to Advanced ---> click yes to proceed --->click on upgrade firmware --->click check now

If there is an upgrade available (I dont know what the current version is) upgrade. This may do the trick

0 Likes
mamcc2006

Interesting... today, just for s&g, I thought I'd check TV Central and see what happens. I went to the My Set-Top Boxes view, and received the "set top not responding message". So I clicked the "Refresh Set top box list" link (which I had clicked many and numerous times in the past), and it suddenly came back and showed my STB. I then was able to go the the DVR view and see the recorded, scheduled, etc. views. I was even able to delete a show that I had watched and had not removed via the remote control.

I'm not going to complain since it suddenly started working, but does anyone have any idea as to why it may have "reconnected"? I had been on vacation for 10 days and had not touched the thing, and today was the first time I'd attempted accessing it via the web since I got back...

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

I have a few suspects:

(1) Bill Gates,

(2) Gremlins,

(3) Bill Gates,

(4) Aliens,

(5) Bill Gates,

(6) Polergeists, or

(7) Bill Gates.

Smiley Happy

prisaz
Legend

@CapnTrips wrote:

I have a few suspects:

(1) Bill Gates,

(2) Gremlins,

(3) Bill Gates,

(4) Aliens,

(5) Bill Gates,

(6) Polergeists, or

(7) Bill Gates.

Smiley Happy

No

Verizon Billing

TV Central

The web interface does not know the box has remote access. Happens to me all the time.

Don't call and try to have it resolved because you will have Home Media DVR (Multi Room DVR) added to you account to fix it.Then someone will insist you asked for it bacause your bill will go from $15.99 to $19.99. Like it or not. Happened twice to me and I still have the bad taste. NOW if you have MR-DVR and pay for it then I would contact tech support and they can fix it.

Don't mean to be so negative, but I hardly think it is MS. But then again the web servers might be running on IIS

The truth is out there.

Message Edited by prisaz on 08-25-2009 06:41 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

mamcc2006,

I have no facts, but I have a theory.

I have been using the Remote DVR several for several months, and I guess it works about 75-80% of the time. When it doesn't, it usually gives the "not responding" message, but occasionally it just sits and spins forever (or at least until I close the page). My theory is that the web application has a very short timeout setting, for whatever reason, and network congestion, server activity, or something causes enough delay that the timeout happens. My experience is that if I just close the page, wait a few minutes and try again, it frequently will connect. I don't think anything is actually "broken", it is more of a "temporary failure due to unforeseen circumstances" (which IMHO should have been foreseen).

As I said, this is only a theory. But if it is correct, I suspect Verizon could change the timeout value upwards and most of the connection failures would disappear.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I dont know if you ever went in and checked the firmware like I suggested earlier or not. But in my case. when my router was replaced, I had the wrong firmware and the media manager wouldnt work. Now the routers are supposed to upgrade the firmware automatically and once mine did the media manager started working. Now I know that this is different than the remote dvr that your saying but maybe its the same thing with the firmware. Your router finally updated itself and now its working? Just a thought. Another theory to add to the list Smiley Wink

I also think Aliens may be to blameRobot tongue

0 Likes