Replacing Actiontec router?
Tarrant17011
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, so I have Verizon FiOS with coax coming out of the ONT. I am currently using the Verizon-supplied Actiontec router over MoCA.

I'm interested in replacing the Actiontec router with one of my own choosing. I realize I could do this by asking Verizon to come and install ethernet out of the MoCA. However, I was wondering if this scenario would also work:

1. What if I remove the Actiontec and replace it with a Netgear MoCA-ethernet adapter:

http://www.netgear.com/products/home/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/MCAB1001.aspx

2. Then, I plug the Netgear MoCA adapter's ethernet output into the WAN port of whatever router I choose.

Now, I don't care about VOD or the FiOS guide or the Motorola set-top boxes (I'm switching over to Ceton's InfiniTV in my own HTPCs).

What I do have is Verizon FiOS triple play so my phone, internet, and TV are all over Verizon FiOS. Do I need the Actiontec router for voice service? Will my plan above work?

0 Likes
Re: Replacing Actiontec router?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

no you dont need the Verizon router for phone.

Yes, that will likely work

Remember that if you do this, you are completely on your own if anything goes wrong or you have any problems. Verizon will NOT support it if you make ANY changes.

Not that this is a bad thing in any stretch of the imagination. But I point it out as many on this board mistakenly thought they could do anything they wanted and still get support (and demanded support) from Verizon and were supprised when Verizon basically said "you have problem? Using your own equiptment? Higher someone to come out and help you. Good by"

Even if the problem is with Verizon, you will have to figure it out on your own, or restore it to the Verizon setup before you will get any support at all. And I do mean AT ALL.

Now that that has been said. I'd say go for it.

topherhead

Did you have any luck with this? I'm literally trying to do exactly the same thing. I've got an InfiniTV4 in the mail as we speak and im staring at an MCAB1001 that is apparently getting a moca connection but my router isnt pulling an IP from it.  Did you have to pull any tricks to make it work?

Thanks

Topherhead

0 Likes
Tarrant17011
Enthusiast - Level 1

I couldn't get this to work. If you log into your Actiontec, and go to My Network -> Network Connections -> Broadband Connections (Coax)  at the bottom you will see the Channel you need (mine was 1000 MHz).

Then click Settings and you will see that Privacy is enabled along with the password used.

You can configure the Netgear MoCA adapter with those settings. But apparently the adapter has two connection modes, MoCA D band and All pass diplexer. The 1000 MHz channel is only available with the All pass mode, so I went with that.

After making those changes, I replaced the Actiontec with the MoCA adapter, and plugged the ethernet jack from the MoCA into a regular router, but could never establish an internet connection.

Let me know if you have any success!

0 Likes