Samsung Series 6 tv and 5G Gateway connection
Goldmasher

I have a Samsung Series 6 tv and have upgraded to the 5G gateway.  However, the tv now won't connect to the internet.  I have also switched to the 2.4ghz connection but still no internet.  Nobody at Verizon can help.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Series 6 tv and 5G Gateway connection
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@MrBret wrote:

Do you have one of these 5G wireless set up's?

The "fixes" seem to generic and If I knew what half if what you were saying meant I probably wouldnt need help.

Can you be more specific as to where to click and what to select?

Every other device connects just fine (PS4, phone, tablet, laptop etc).  Whats the issue with the TV?

Some devices will work fine with the DFS channels, which were set aside for radar and defense purposes. others work erratically with them. I know I was having issues with 2 of my older Roku sticks because of it. You should also look to see if there is a firmware update for the TV. It may fix the issue. I don't have the newer 5G system so I can only give you generic instructions, but somewhere in the menu is a WiFi tab, and in that tab should be channel selection for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi. That is what you need to change. When the router is set to automatic, it chooses the channel based on congestion in the area. So it sometimes chooses non-DFS, sometimes DFS channels.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Goldmasher wrote:

I have a Samsung Series 6 tv and have upgraded to the 5G gateway.  However, the tv now won't connect to the internet.  I have also switched to the 2.4ghz connection but still no internet.  Nobody at Verizon can help.  

Do your other devices connect to the new router OK? If so you have to reset the TV and start from scratch again. There may be something in the TVs memory from the earlier connection that is blocking the new router.

MrBret
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here.

I got the 5G home on Saturday and everything connects except the Samsung TV, "no internet connection".

The TV does see the network in the list but wont connect. I can connect the TV to my cellphone Hotspot just not the Verizon 5G box.

I've done all the power cycling stuff. 

Verizon blame Samsung, Samsung blames Verizon.

Anyone got any ideas outside of normal trouble shooting?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@MrBret wrote:

Same issue here.

I got the 5G home on Saturday and everything connects except the Samsung TV, "no internet connection".

The TV does see the network in the list but wont connect. I can connect the TV to my cellphone Hotspot just not the Verizon 5G box.

I've done all the power cycling stuff. 

Verizon blame Samsung, Samsung blames Verizon.

Anyone got any ideas outside of normal trouble shooting?

I had the same kind of issue with a Roku device. The Samsung TV most likely will NOT connect to any of the DFS channels from the router. You need to go into the router setup menu , go to WiFi settings and set the 5Ghz to a fixed channel either between 36 – 48 or between 149 – 165. Or if the option is there disable use of the DFS channels.

MrBret
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I get into the settings of the 5G internet  box?

There are no options I can see on the Verizon app/page that allow any changes to be made.

This is what i have:-  https://www.verizon.com/home/internet/5g/

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@MrBret wrote:

How do I get into the settings of the 5G internet  box?

There are no options I can see on the Verizon app/page that allow any changes to be made.

This is what i have:-  https://www.verizon.com/home/internet/5g/

Look here to identify which router you have and how to access its menus:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-220089/

Usually you go to a browser that is connected to the network. In the URL bar type 192.168.1.1, then use the user and password located on the bottom of the router to login to its setup page.

MrBret
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so good and bad news. I eventually found what i think was the right page, changed the channel as mentioned before and it worked right away and all last night.

BUT......

Today, nothing. It won't connect again. Will I have go do this every day?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@MrBret wrote:

Ok, so good and bad news. I eventually found what i think was the right page, changed the channel as mentioned before and it worked right away and all last night.

BUT......

Today, nothing. It won't connect again. Will I have go do this every day?

Once you change the channel in the router software it should stay the same as long as you set it to static, not automatic. Remember to make sure you set it in the range outside of the DFS channels, re-boot the router and reset the TV to the new channel.

MrBret
Enthusiast - Level 2

The "fixes" seem to generic and If I knew what half if what you were saying meant I probably wouldnt need help.

Every other device connects just fine (PS4, phone, tablet, laptop etc).  Whats the issue with the TV?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@MrBret wrote:

Some devices will work fine with the DFS channels, which were set aside for radar and defense purposes. others work erratically with them. I know I was having issues with 2 of my older Roku sticks because of it. You should also look to see if there is a firmware update for the TV. It may fix the issue. I don't have the newer 5G system so I can only give you generic instructions, but somewhere in the menu is a WiFi tab, and in that tab should be channel selection for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi. That is what you need to change. When the router is set to automatic, it chooses the channel based on congestion in the area. So it sometimes chooses non-DFS, sometimes DFS channels.