Re: Science Channel dropped as of 4/26/2022
HexMyr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called today. The automatic services reset my system twice and held me on the phone for 30 minutes before I was able to talk to talk to an agent. He told me that Discovery Science is no longer provided by Fios.

Thanks you for wasting my time Verizon.

It's time to get rid of Cable.

MKEngland
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hate to say it, but this is probably the first of these types of moves that Verizon is going to make. Had several discussions with "retention" yesterday about this and their fallback comment was "we need to recover costs for these channels". So I'm willing to bet that sooner rather than later Verizon will move most of the Discovery channels (ID channel, Animal Planet, etc.) to their most expensive tier.  

What has pushed me to look for another provider at this point is that Verizon falls back on the clause in the service contract to justify removing channels from a package that I agreed to pay for when I signed up for the service.  This is their contract clause that says basically they can change what's offered whenever they want to.  Every alternative they put in front of me ends up costing me more money a month regardless of options. So my choice is I either lose more channels from what I get now and pay an extra $5 a month, or if I want to be "made whole" I can pay $25 more a month to get what I was originally paying to get.

Neither one is acceptable to me as a customer.  They could have easily "grandfathered" current customers and moved new subscribers to their new plan structure.  But, clearly, Verizon just wants more money and this is how they are going to get it. That's what Verizon thinks about us as customers.

FJHfios
Enthusiast - Level 1

Really awful of them.

Normandg1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was disappointed also with the drop of the Science channel. I would guess their game is 2 fold. First to see if we are willing to pay more. This also puts the Science channel in a squeeze with less subscribers. They might have been wanting more money and verizon said ok and moved them to a higher tier. They get paid based on the number of subscribers.

ReallyTickedOff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon is history.  Get the Discovery + subscription.  This is so very "Verizon" to take away something with no notice and try to force us to upgrade. Totally Unacceptable.  I've had good luck with Roku.

TonyinPa
Enthusiast - Level 1

there was no messages sent... i check my messages at least once a week... there is nothing in there. i called them today my self and the guy i talked too had no clue they moved it to a different package. so if they dont even know what makes you think someone sent out messages to the customers ?

j-p1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My kid looks forward to watching How It's Made every Sunday morning. She's very disappointed. So I got a Discovery+ trial, but she doesn't want to pick the shows herself, she wants live TV. At an extra $31/month, it's not worth it. I can get what we want at another cable company, for less money. There's the risk of letting an installer into my house in the era of COVID - I have diabetes - but it may be worth it.

It's really odd that Verizon can arbitrarily remove any or all stations from the package I contracted to, but if I want to end the contract, I need to pay an early termination fee.

FCD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not see it… maybe that type of messaging on CB is junk!

0 Likes
FCD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Contact Fios before you renew…

0 Likes
sel5
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is unacceptable dropping the Science Channel  !  The American Heros was dropped as well.  Wonder what else was dropped from the Extreme HD lineup.