Seeking info about External Access to my DVR
BG2021
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a recent subscriber to FIOS TV and Internet. I'm also a long time advocate for avoiding monthly rental fees on equipment that I shouldn't need so my objective is to not use the FIOS Router that was provided.  Thus far I have been successful for anything within my home network using my own router and a MOCA adapter to provide coaxial based internet access to the DVR. My guide works, on demand works and I can access the DVR from multiple FireTV sticks within my own network. At this point I'm just trying to understand how access is initiated when outside my network because thus far I have not been able to make that work. For example, if I go to tv.verizon.com and attempt to access my DVR from the My Stuff section it fails. How does that call work? Is there a direct call attempt being made to my network or is the website bridging to some sort of established connection that the DVR already has within Verizon's network? If it's the former then I'll clearly need a port forwarding rule or two on my router to permit WAN based traffic and if so I'd appreciate some guidance on how to obtain the necessary listener info to create those rules. I suppose the latter connection type could also be a port forwording issue, but that seems less likely since in that case the DVR would essentially be leveraging an established connection. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Seeking info about External Access to my DVR
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've never seen anyone report success with using a non-Verizon router with their set-tops.  Verizon's network is able to control their routers so they have the appropriate configuration to allow the set-tops to work, and the set-tops know if a Verizon router is in use.

The latest fios ONE boxes are particularly demanding about this, they won't activate without a Verizon router.

If your goal is to avoid the router rental fee, know you can purchase a new Verizon G3100 directly from them for $299.  Or, you can buy a used G1100 online for around $40, if not less.  The G1100 works fine with all the latest set-top-boxes and is fully supported by Verizon.

If your goal is to avoid all Verizon rentals and equipment, get a TiVO and rent a cable card from Verizon.  Then, you can use whatever router you like.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've never seen anyone report success with using a non-Verizon router with their set-tops.  Verizon's network is able to control their routers so they have the appropriate configuration to allow the set-tops to work, and the set-tops know if a Verizon router is in use.

The latest fios ONE boxes are particularly demanding about this, they won't activate without a Verizon router.

If your goal is to avoid the router rental fee, know you can purchase a new Verizon G3100 directly from them for $299.  Or, you can buy a used G1100 online for around $40, if not less.  The G1100 works fine with all the latest set-top-boxes and is fully supported by Verizon.

If your goal is to avoid all Verizon rentals and equipment, get a TiVO and rent a cable card from Verizon.  Then, you can use whatever router you like.

BG2021
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I've gotten everything to work within the house, just not outside my home network. It's not a huge deal because it's not a feature I had before or consider a necessity, but it would be nice to have.