Send the old obsolete hardware to the grinding mill. QIP-6xxx and QIP-2500 P1 P2 P?
prisaz
Legend

Send the old obsolete hardware to the grinding mill. QIP-6xxx and QIP-2500 P1 P2 P? Recycle these components to keep these from being installed. I have seen a continous flood of issues regarding people with this hardware or getting this hardware. Vote here.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/The-grinding-mill-for-recycled-electronic...

0 Likes
Re: Send the old obsolete hardware to the grinding mill. QIP-6xxx and QIP-2500 P1 P2 P?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure I completely agree. From what I understand, there are a large number of SD boxes out there. Why force Verizon to spend a lot of money to swap them all out. I am sure would cost tens of millions of dollars (anyone have a better number?).

Now on the other hand, Verizon should sunset all of the old boxes. Tell people that after a certain date, these boxes will not be getting anything new (lots of electronics manufacturers do this). Let them know they can upgrade to the newest boxes (don't think they have them on hand to handle a large influx). This can and should be done as long progress with new hardware (7XXX series) and new capabilities are not impeded because of the large installed base of older eqpt.

I would prefer they take that money and invest it in the new technology they have started to show. To me, it looks close enough to reality that that should be the best route for a forced technology upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: Send the old obsolete hardware to the grinding mill. QIP-6xxx and QIP-2500 P1 P2 P?
prisaz
Legend

Well they have advertized 70% of Energy Star boxes are being installed. The hardware mentioned is not energy star rated. the QIP-6xxx does not support the HD guide and has been nothing but an issue where people post time and time again about the new 1.9 guide. So as the obsolete hardware should go. The 6000 series were the first boxes to be released with the service, and the technology is over 6 years old. So yes new technology is needed to replace these boxes. The same with the 2500 SD boxes. Perhaps get rid of the QIP-6xxx DVRs and only issue the QIP-6xxx STB non DVRs for SD use, so people can get the content they pay for. The HD boxes do work on an SD TV.

Now the Silver 7100 series boxes are close to the same point and not energy star. All the Silver boxes ARE OLD!

This is a quote from the Verizon video, pointing to the silver boxes.  " these boxes were not very energy effecient so very quickly within three years we migrated to these". Pointing to the newer black energy star boxes. The STBs everyone complains about are mostly these old silver boxes that are still being installed. So the QIP-6xxx at a minimum must go. The QIP-2500 have been made unavailable for quite some time.

Watch this video from Verizon. Even they say so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QogfVxtsOP8&feature=youtu.be

I agree that the cost of changing hardware is not cheap, but how long should 6 year old hardware be rotated in and out of service? They should well be paid for by now.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:

Send the old obsolete hardware to the grinding mill. QIP-6xxx and QIP-2500 P1 P2 P? Recycle these components to keep these from being installed. I have seen a continous flood of issues regarding people with this hardware or getting this hardware. Vote here.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/The-grinding-mill-for-recycled-electronic...

Mark -

The last I heard, Verizon is no longer distributing any of the 2500s.  However, I have 2 for SD TVs (grandfatherd at $4.99 ea) and don't want to have to pay $9.99 ea for an HD box.  Give me the HD box for the same price (ala New York) and I'll gladly turn them in.

Don

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

They are still offering QIP2500's in goupings such as a HD and two SD boxes.  But I agree no one should really want them unless offfered absolutely for free.  And 2500-p1 and 2500-p2 are really old.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tns wrote:

They are still offering QIP2500's in goupings such as a HD and two SD boxes.  But I agree no one should really want them unless offfered absolutely for free.  And 2500-p1 and 2500-p2 are really old.

Where is that being offered? Probably to new customers? I have read, and been told time and time again that the 2500 boxes have been discontinued and not available for order or install. The only grouping I have seen is for MRDVR where you get 1 DVR and multiple HD boxes.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

Mark -

The last I heard, Verizon is no longer distributing any of the 2500s.  However, I have 2 for SD TVs (grandfatherd at $4.99 ea) and don't want to have to pay $9.99 ea for an HD box.  Give me the HD box for the same price (ala New York) and I'll gladly turn them in.

Don

I understand. I went to the MRDVR for a discount on the HD boxes. Then tried to get one of the 2500 back for a guest room and older TV, and was told no. So never let them go unless you get the price you want. I imagine that at some point they will make them obsolete and force a change. We are about at that point right now. I noticed with 1.8 my 2500 boxes took forever to scroll through the guide. Unless 1.9 made it better, I would not want a 2500 to use daily, but I guess they do still have a purpose. I would guess 1.9 made the 2500 even slower.

0 Likes