Re: TV commercial sound level.
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah iam noticing this also there are more commercials getting louder and louder. This happened a few years ago and I think the FCC start cracking down on them as I didnt hear loud commercials anymore,  they put the volume up so you pay attention to them but for me it works just the opposite as I eather turn the commercial off or turn it way down, but still its a pain in the butt.

0 Likes
Re: TV commercial sound level.
AnnJ11
Contributor - Level 3

A law was passed at the end of 2010, but it won't take effect until this December 15th.  It's called the CALM Act.   Here are some notable points, all quoted from http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/When-And-How-The-Calm-Act-Will-Be-Enforced.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The CALM (Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation) Act, signed by President Obama on December 15, requires broadcasters to install technology ensuring that commercials air at a volume no louder than the programs in which they appear...

[M]any new TV sets have the ability to eliminate volume differences between programs and commercials. These functions usually need to be "enabled" or turned on through the television receiver's "set up/audio" menu. High-end (high-dollar) home theater systems also offer audio control options that help control volume differences.

How to Complain About Loud Commercials

Even before the CALM Act regulation take effect, you can report TV commercials that seem louder than the program they follow to the FCC. When reporting your complaint to the FCC, be sure to include the time, channel, a description of the commercial, and whether you are watching TV using cable or satellite service or are watching broadcast television using an antenna.

You can file your complaint with the FCC's Consumer Call Center at 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322). Your complaint can also be faxed to 1-866-418-0232...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These phone numbers may be outdated since this article is from 2010.