Re: The Blaze TV
PJF310
Enthusiast - Level 2

@HokieDave wrote:

Why would a supposed "libertarian" want the government to interfere with how Comcast and Time Warner conduct business?

It's about monopolies. If Com/TW merge combined they will have roughly 30% of the market in the US. If some in these areas have no other options Com/TW can do what they want with rates.

Combined they can choose what content what people get, charge what they want, and in the end US the cosumer is screwed

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

Well, point #1, this is only an issue in markets where Comcast and Time Warner were competing against each other.  (How many of these could there be?) I googled and found this map - http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/the-comcast-time-warner-deal-by-the-numbers/?_php=true&_type=... - there's basically no overlap at all.

The vast majority of markets just have one cable company and at most one fiber company (FIOS, AT&T Universe, Google Fiber).  If wouldn't matter if there was only one cable company in the country - the competition would still be the same for most of us because there's only one cable company in your area anyway.

Point #2: the problem is (local) government-sanctioned cable monopolies.  If Cox cable (my local cable company) had the exclusive ability to run cable and offer cable service in a town, then they had no incentive to offer a quality service.  I used to have Cox when they were the only game in town and my signal quality was deplorable and my internet connection was going out at least once a week.  Once FIOS came into town and there was competition, Cox improved.  But if, 40 years ago, that local monopoly had never happened and other companies had been allowed to compete, Cox would have been forced to continually improve their product all along. That's the problem - the exclusive contracts - not how big any one cable company is.

Point #3: If TimeWarnerComcast is the only game in town in a particular area and decides to jack up their rates to high heaven, then people will leave them and go to DirectTV/Dish.  Or they will cut the cord completely.  Or one of the fiber companies will see a new market ripe for expansion and will start offering their services.  That's how competition works - if a monopoly abuses their monopoly powers, it becomes economical for other offerors to compete with them.

@PJF310 wrote:

@HokieDave wrote:

Why would a supposed "libertarian" want the government to interfere with how Comcast and Time Warner conduct business?

It's about monopolies. If Com/TW merge combined they will have roughly 30% of the market in the US. If some in these areas have no other options Com/TW can do what they want with rates.

Combined they can choose what content what people get, charge what they want, and in the end US the cosumer is screwed

0 Likes
rogerthek

The Real News on BlazeTV is the best source of polical news. It's less biased, more factual, and its regulars and guests are very professional and knowledgeable.

0 Likes
themeinicke

Add the Blaze TV.

0 Likes
ptrac

I wouldnt call them "ultra-conservtaive" they seem to be to the left of FOX in a lot of ways. To the right in others maybe.  But, they clearly have differeing ideas from the other major news networks. The political affiliation should not be an issue in any way.  If we can have AL JAZEERA on our service, which no one watches or wants I think rtoom could be made for the Blaze.  It would certainly get more viewers than a host of channels.  IF people are asking for the BLAZE why not pick it up?  NO ONE asked for AL JAZEERA.

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

Interesting news article today about Al Jazeera America laying people off BECAUSE NOBODY IS WATCHING IT

http://www.cjr.org/the_audit/al_jazeera_america_struggles_t.php

Its BEST performance was 23,000 viewers during the beginning of the Gaza war.  Good grief ... 23,000?

Maybe there just aren't that many people interested in watching a propaganda channel.  I'm not sure why Verizon feels the need to air them.

0 Likes
foundersrock
Enthusiast - Level 1

Real News and the Wonderful Word of Stu are some of the most informative and entertaining shows on TV.  Sick of my Roku player and the problems it has.  If Verizon doesn't get it's act together and add the Blaze to disprove all of the suspicion that this is deliberate due to political bias of the powers that dictate, I would very much like to pull the plug and go to Dish.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I find it interesting that no cable company carries The Blaze (at least as far as I can tell from their website).

Maybe he doesn't want to be carried. Probably makes more money with people signing up and paying monthly.

0 Likes
The Blaze TV
dalydouble

Are there any plans for Verizon Fios to carry The Blaze in the NY area?

Why do I have to contribute to terrorism via Al Jazzera everytime I pay my Fios bill, but Fios refuses to carry a network who's motto is "The Truth Lives Here"???

Locally, cablevision and Dish carry The Blaze TV.  Do I really need to change carriers for this?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

DON"T ASK HERE VERIZON WILL NOT ANSWER.

This forum is peer to peer.

Personally I think they have no plan to carry it ever.

0 Likes