Re: The Weather Channel
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know Ch 49 is no longer there.

Are you refering to the content (not widget ) that was on CH49 when we had TWC?

If so, then it went away the same day that TWCD was replaced.

But it was not a wdiget, but a reuglar channel.

If you are refering to the widget that launched after Accuweather came on board, then it was weatherbug.

0 Likes
EricDee1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

I know Ch 49 is no longer there.

Are you refering to the content (not widget ) that was on CH49 when we had TWC?

If so, then it went away the same day that TWCD was replaced.

But it was not a wdiget, but a reuglar channel.

If you are refering to the widget that launched after Accuweather came on board, then it was weatherbug.

I don't think you completely understand what I'm saying... Channel 49 is gone completely now. From the lineup. Like it never existed. It was "widget limbo" at first, but now it's completely gone.

0 Likes
EricDee1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

By the way, folks, with Verizon's logic, NBC will likely be next since they're also owned by Comcast. Get ready to lose a HUGE major TV network, folks, because that what I think is gonna happen next. Verizon's not gonna admit they're wrong, so they're gonna compund it with ANOTHER wrong. Just you watch & see. If they had brain one in their heads, like I HOPE they do, The Weather Channel would be brought back, but that makes far too much sense. Hopefully in 11 months when my contract is up, I'll have the money put together to switch providers, but we'll see.

0 Likes
WeatherFan
Enthusiast - Level 1
As we all know, Verizon has decided to get rid of one of the best channels on TV, without giving a single logical or believable reason.

I don't watch a lot of TV since there isn't anything worth watching, in my opinion. I'm not interested in reality shows, sitcoms, soap operas, horror, sports, junk news, or home shopping. However, one of the few stations I DID watch was the Weather Channel. I depended on it for regular forecasts, emergency weather bulletins, and natural disaster reporting.

As a librarian in a public library, I use weather.com (the Weather Channel's website) to answer patron's questions. Verizon has stated that people don't need the Weather Channel anymore because they get their information from the Internet. If that is the case, why do so many people call my library asking for the forecast? It's because there is a whole segment of the population that does not have a computer, email and/or the Internet.

Verizon insisting that people no longer need or want the Weather Channel is like the ignorant and short-sighted people who tell me that libraries are becoming extinct. Those people are out of touch with the reality that I see and experience every day at work: there are many people in our society who do not have e-readers, computers, or smart phones, either because they choose not to, can't understand technology, or can't afford them. However, many of those same people have a television and rely on it.

I am lucky that I can afford a computer and smart phone. I know how to use them and surf the web for information successfully. But I also want to get information and entertainment from TV. I want to see hurricane footage on a big screen, not on a tiny smart phone or computer screen.

Compared to the Weather Channel, Accuweather is a joke. If Verizon's customers do not need the Weather Channel, then they certainly don't need a substandard and pathetic imitation of it.

I had been waiting for my ancient smart phone to break for years. My AT&T contract had expired and I had decided to try Verizon Wireless next. Verizon dropped the Weather Channel right before I finally needed a new phone, so I changed my mind and stayed with AT&T.

Since Verizon dropped the Weather Channel, like many people, I feel stuck with a cable service that no longer meets my needs. I have been waiting impatiently for Verizon to come to its senses and reinstate the Weather Channel. However, I will not wait forever.

I had to call Verizon a few weeks ago about a problem and the Verizon employee told me that they were still negotiating with the Weather Channel. I would like to think that he was not lying to me, but the letter I had gotten earlier in the mail about Verizon's decision to drop the Weather Channel had stated that this was a done deal.

Don't force me to leave. Prove to your customers that you do listen to what they want and need. Prove to us that you are not ignorant and short-sighted.
jbeard1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We all prefer the Weather Channel and know that Accuweather is not acceptable. Until there is a real ground swell I don't think anything will happen. One rep tells me to "forget it", one tells me they are in negotiation. If they keep taking channels away and "redoing" the packages I can look to plugging in Amazon Fire, subscribing to Netflix and getting an outside antenna. There are other options. For example you can get HBO now without having cable.....

0 Likes
acct201
Enthusiast - Level 2

In this season of stormy weather, I was so used to turning to the weather channel for direction.   Accuweather is an inferior product and totally useless.  I will be looking to leave Verizon Fios for another service provider. 

Sure there is the internet, but sitting in a chair stairing at a small monitor just doesn't cut it when you have a 60 inch TV and I can relax in the recliner while drinking a mug of coffee.  

Thanks but no thanks. 

ZandorRI
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well Hurricane season is upon us and the AW channel is an utter joke.

I have family in TX that was hit recently by a F1 tornado and I had no clue until I received a text that said "We're fine, don't worry & I'll call you later" My defining moment and Breaking Straw!

During Hurricanes and Blizzards we have TWC on constantly, or at least we did.

So, a big kudos for taking away our access to watch TWC on TV. 

A channel that provides the best weather coverage. IMHO

Live and continually updated during disasters and storms.

I relied on TWC for local and distant weather forecasts.

Yes I can pull it up on my smart phone or PC, but I want to watch it when I'm cooking/eating in the kitchen, or relaxing in the Living room or bedroom. I don't want to watch it on a small screen, or laptop....get real.

My contract is up in September and with no TWC in sight of returning, neither will I.

This combined with channels being dropped and new fees being added as a way to circumvent bundled pricing is unacceptable. And again this is my opinion and conspiracy theory.

So, just how many other customers are jumping ship, IDK but I have talked with other friends/family that are also fed up & leaving when their contract ends.

End of story, I need, expect and want a weather channel that can and will provide me and my family with current accurate up to date weather nation/world wide.

We want to know when that change is happening, and if it impacts our friends/family spread across the US and abroad.

It would just be nice to know that we could flick on the tube and see what's happening at home and abroad.

NE weather changes....well like the old saying....if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes it will change.

I have already started to receive VZ retention offers, but unless TWC is back, that's nothing more then mute.

I loved my FIOS, but my family and I need the weather to be accurate, and we believe that TWC is the only option.

I really wish they would listen to their subscribers, but I believe the bottom line is "as mentioned various times earlier in this extremly long message thread" money money money.

frankc1200
Enthusiast - Level 3
Bring it back and drop MTV. I get music on my itunes. Bring it back and drop one of the following, CNN, MSNBC, Al Ajazz... One America News or Fox news. I get news on my phone and ipad.

No logic with the weather channel other than some fat cats getting bigger bonuses.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe viewership is down more on TWC vs the channels you mention?

Or pricing is different.

A channel like MTV is probably part of a bundle.

0 Likes
Fed up with lack of The Weather Channel
aafd91
Enthusiast - Level 2

All I can say, is thank goodness that my family has a different service that offer The Weather Channel, otherwise I never would have known of the TORNADO that touched down in my area.... Thanks Verizon, for putting your own egos ahead of the safety and satisfaction of your customers.