Time display on Set Top Boxes Freezing
figsgrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have our STBs set to display the current time whenever they are off.  Ever since receiving the 1.9 upgrade, the time displayed will freeze whenever the boxes receive any communication from Verizon.  For example, the time on all my STBs froze at 2:00 on 11/9, when the test of the emergency broadcast system was conducted (all our sets were off during the test.)   It happened again on 11/13 when the time froze at 5:50.  My new messages showed that a message about Pay-Per-View had bee received at 5:51AM.

Turning the box on reverts the box to the correct time, but providing a clock function that "stops" makes the function totally useless. 

Has anyone else experienced this?   Verizon Tech Support never heard of it.  They tried resetting my boxes, but it didn't solve the problem.

0 Likes
Re: Time display on Set Top Boxes Freezing
Justin46
Legend

@figsgrandpa wrote:

We have our STBs set to display the current time whenever they are off.  Ever since receiving the 1.9 upgrade, the time displayed will freeze whenever the boxes receive any communication from Verizon.  For example, the time on all my STBs froze at 2:00 on 11/9, when the test of the emergency broadcast system was conducted (all our sets were off during the test.)   It happened again on 11/13 when the time froze at 5:50.  My new messages showed that a message about Pay-Per-View had bee received at 5:51AM.

Turning the box on reverts the box to the correct time, but providing a clock function that "stops" makes the function totally useless. 

Has anyone else experienced this?   Verizon Tech Support never heard of it.  They tried resetting my boxes, but it didn't solve the problem.

No, I have never heard of it either. What model STBs do you have, older 6xxx and/or 2500, or newer ones in the 7xxx range, or Cisco? And all STBs do it, or just some?

Just curious, why do you turn the boxes off? I leave all of my STBs on 24/7, there is no power savings in turning them off. Only one of my STBs has a clock/channel display, the 7232 DVR, but the clock always seems to be correct.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
figsgrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 1

The DVRs are Motorola 7216. The others are Motorola 7100. We turn the boxes off because we wanted the clock.   When the box is on, we have it set to display the current channel.   It happens on all the boxes.

0 Likes
cmargolin
Enthusiast - Level 3

My 2500 STB freezes every couple of days.  The time is stuck but the colon blinks.  The box does not respond to the remote and there is no video.  Then I have to reset either by unplugging or using the web "quick fix".  It seems to have started after the 1.9 upgrade.

0 Likes
elliotmh21

Well, it's been a long time searching, but I'm glad to see others that are also having the problem since the content upgrade 1.9 in September 2011.  I have been fighting the clock freezing's at random times since then.  I have probably over 10 different videos showing the clocks freezing.  I too, have also been told that I am the ONLY one this is happening to.  Here is the problem - if, and ONLY if you have the front display set to show the channel when the box is on (the way I WANT it to be - when on, I want to glance at the display to see what channel I'm on - NOT to have to press buttons and get a please wait while Verizon wants to show me something that I might want to see - I WANT TO SEE THE CHANNEL!!!!), the clock will randomly freeze on different days and times.  This usually affects ALL boxes AND DVR, however the DVR's recording clock seems to work properly.  When I turned all boxes to always show the clock, this freezing doesn't happen. 

After many weeks of no problems because of setting the boxes to always show the clock (a brief display of the channel when you change channels), I reset one box back to the channel always when on.  As I mentioned above, when the box is on, I want to SEE the channel display, not press buttons, wait for a delay in the box to respond to the button press, and then maybe show me the channel number! 2 times since doing that, this box FROZE up like in the past, but ONLY this box.   In addition, this same box that I reset to show the Channel when on, COMPLETELY froze up also.  It was on a channel and stopped responding to the remote OR the front panel buttons.  The only way to turn it off, was to unplug the box, which then clears out even the favorites (or at least it used to so I stopped setting them over a year ago!).  I have had many tech calls, Tier 2 got involved, the BPU in NJ is also on this, but they don't want to acknowledge the software BUG that they introduced in September 2011.  As I am an electronic technician, and deal with computers and software bugs all the time, I have been constantly telling Verizon that this is a software bug until I have turned blue in the face.  Several technicians that came out said they have seen this lots of times, but Verizon Central Tech Support keeps saying they have never heard of this.  I am going to send them (and the BPU and someone higher up at Verizon) a link to this page, showing it isn't just a one-off problem, but a DEFINIATE software bug.

In case Verizon decides to delete this to make the problem "go-away", after I save this, I will be saving this entire page in PDF form and take this however high I have to.  Basically I have had "broken" tv cable box service for OVER A YEAR!  It should definately qualify for credit since it has been "slightly" longer than the 6 hours they say in the terms of service...

0 Likes
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you and we did not receive a response.  Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you.  Tonya C.

0 Likes