Re: VERIZON ADMITS BANDWIDTH INADEQUATE FOR SOME MAJOR SPORT EVENTS !!! GOODBYE NCAA FINAL FOUR!
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/faq#22

Why is an event blacked out?

This is because the event that you requested is not available on ESPN360.com in your market. Blackouts apply to broadcasts that have been sold regionally or locally per league, conference and local rights holder agreements. Regional and local rights holders are usually broadcast stations or regional sports networks. Blackouts are implemented to protect the primary rights holder, as defined by the professional and college sports leagues or teams in a given market.

that is from espn.com, blackouts apply to broadcasts so in turn broadcasters right?

IDK   the whole thing is confusing, but I think I am starting to catch the drift.   regardless though, Verizon knows about what is blacked out and when, so they should be able to control the message that comes up on the channel, but who knows..

0 Likes
Re: VERIZON ADMITS BANDWIDTH INADEQUATE FOR SOME MAJOR SPORT EVENTS !!! GOODBYE NCAA FINAL FOUR!
Hubrisnxs
Legend

for that matter though, espn could do the same thing.  they are the ones to whom the black out was imposed.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The channel provider (for example ESPN), notifies the carrier (Verizon in this case) that a program must be blocked within certain geographic area's. Then it is Verizon's responsibility to block it out in those area's.

Verizon only receives one signal from the provider, it is then sent to a SHE (super head end). From there Verizon sends it to the local VHO (Video Hub Office) that services the region. (VHO 4 serves the MD/VA in the DC area) Then it goes to the local offices, the local offices are the ones that put in the blackouts.

There actually is a problem with some live events not sending enough bandwidth, but this is a provider issue, not a Verizon issue. Verizon has the bandwidth to handle anything sent to them. The problem is that the provider doesn't have the bandwidth to get the signal to Verizon.

Now not saying that Verizon doesn't have issues with the occasional program or channel. That's to be expected. But most pic quality issues on Live events are the fault and responsibility of the Provider. And even then, the problem may simply be the ability of them to get the signal out of the venue to the broadcast center.

JTMAG1

The broadcaster informs Verizon of the blackout and they work with the station to black the channel out in the correct area.

0 Likes
Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I love it Justin!

"And it doesn't matter what some CSR says, they frequently are very under-trained or ill-informed and will say almost anything to get you off the phone. And I agree, it is very frustrating to have the CSRs want to go through the script they are reading from, but I guess Verizon requires they do it or they get fired."

But whenever I say something similar in a post on the DSL forum the moderators get all <*********> and edit my post.

The basic job of any Verizon tech support person it to annoy you until you hang up, then they can close the ticket and put "another satisfied customer" in the books.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Kenilworthkid wrote:

I love it Justin!

"And it doesn't matter what some CSR says, they frequently are very under-trained or ill-informed and will say almost anything to get you off the phone. And I agree, it is very frustrating to have the CSRs want to go through the script they are reading from, but I guess Verizon requires they do it or they get fired."

But whenever I say something similar in a post on the DSL forum the moderators get all <*********> and edit my post.

The basic job of any Verizon tech support person it to annoy you until you hang up, then they can close the ticket and put "another satisfied customer" in the books.

Oh but they sent you an email to highlight how they solved your problem that was not fixed. That is my favorite.Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes