VMS4100 and Philips remote problem
Fiosbuff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having just upgraded to the new VMS4100 box (Fios One), I find that the old Philips remote is much more useful, faster, and convenient than the voice remote for doing numerous things such as changing Favorites lists and accessing the DVR. Several Verizon sources say the old remote works with the newer box, and it should since both are built by Arris and the 4100 is basically an upgraded 1100. I have verified this with the exception of one key that seems to be misinterpreted by the VMS4100 and is probably a simple firmware table fix. The PREV key is interpreted the same as a CURSOR LEFT key; this makes for a huge inconvenience for users.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem and how is the best way to get Verizon engineering to fix this in the next release?

0 Likes
Re: VMS4100 and Philips remote problem
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

I really don't think you're going to see anything being done about this. The manufacturers are focused on the new hardware and most likely aren't concerned about backward compatibility. Just lucky they didn't change the code even more between generations. You could always try a Harmony remote and reprogram the one button for the correct usage.

Fiosbuff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't see this as a manufacturer issue; they're just the supplier. It's a Verizon issue with their engineering function and paying attention to the user experience. (I shouldn't have to go spend another $50 for a third party remote like a Harmony.)

I'd like to have a response from someone in Verizon engineering as to their thoughts on this issue and whether it is a simple firmware (mistake and) correction that could be made in the next release that comes down the light pipe to the STB.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

I don't see this as a manufacturer issue; they're just the supplier. It's a Verizon issue with their engineering function and paying attention to the user experience. (I shouldn't have to go spend another $50 for a third party remote like a Harmony.)

I'd like to have a response from someone in Verizon engineering as to their thoughts on this issue and whether it is a simple firmware (mistake and) correction that could be made in the next release that comes down the light pipe to the STB.

Why should either Verizon or the manufacturer care if their newer equipment is compatible with their older remotes? Yes, it could have been a programming error, but consider it good fortune that the remote works at all. They could have not included IR capabilities in the new boxes, and the old remotes or harmony IR remotes wouldn't work at all. My point is their concerns are moving forward, not so much backward compatibility. Try posting here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect  and see if someone there can help, but don't count on it.