Verizon Call Assistant - does it ever work?
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've had FIOS (the triple package) for nearly a month now.  Call Assistant (the desktop app) worked for a day then simply would not connect to the server.  Always get a message saying cannot connect to one of the servers.  Calling Verizon is useless.  If you survive the endless recorded prompts, you eventually get a recorded message telling you there are tech problems.  This has been going on for weeks now.  How difficult can this be?  By the way, this is in the Southern Maryland region (La Plata, MD to be exact.)  FIOS service is new here, but still it's getting a little frustrating that you can't even get information on what the problem might be.  Anyone know anything about this?
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Call Assistant - does it ever work?
Justin46
Legend

I can't help, but I can tell you that Call Assistant is and has been working just fine for me, for at least six months, probably considerably more. And it is working just fine today.

What number did you call for help? The CA Help Center is: 1-888-483-5156. I have only called them twice, back when I first got CA, but the folks there were very helpful in getting my startup problems fixed.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Justin, yes that's the number I've been calling.  My latest call received the automated response about "tech problems".  On the occasions when I have decided to wait to talk with someone, I have had to give up after 10 minutes or so.  I have seen elsewhere in this forum some posts that suggest there is indeed a problem with the latest release that is preventing connection with the server, but can't confirm this.

I'm a retired Verizon employee, so trust me when I tell you that I am very supportive of Verizon, but I do think they have pushed the automated customer support envelope a bit too far.  Not so much with VCA, but with other Verizon service support calls you are forced to endure endless questions that seem to be collecting information on who you are, what your problem is, etc.  Now that would be all well and good if it in fact saved you some time - but when you do finally connect to a live person, the very first question is "what number are you calling about."  Why collect all that data if you are not going to make it available to the service rep who has to handle the call?  I actually prefer a voice response unit if it can resolve problems, but Verizon's systems rarely do that.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Did you install a new update for the client? As you said, there is another thread that says CA quit working after installing a "mandatory" update. I have had CA I think for just about a year (I too am retired, but from IBM, and I don't keep track of time as well as I used to), and have not received/installed any update to the client and like I say, my CA is working just fine.

I don't disagree at all that Verizon has a huge customer support problem. I think it is simply a result of trying to expand their FiOS and wireless footprints too fast, resulting in a need to find/hire/train a very large number of support reps, and they haven't been able to do that. I imagine this forum is an attempt to address this issue, and to some extent I think it works, or at least can - too many people come here to just rant, and to some extent I understand that they are mad and frustrated, but if they would just describe their problem(s) calmly and clearly I think they would be surprised how much help they could get. There are some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, customers and Verizon employees, and I think they really want to help.    

I positively hate the automated phone systems of all companies, not just Verizon, I want to talk to a live person, although I really don't find Verizon's to be as bad as some other systems. I know there are lots of folks that disagree with me.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

@Justin wrote:

Did you install a new update for the client? As you said, there is another thread that says CA quit working after installing a "mandatory" update. I have had CA I think for just about a year (I too am retired, but from IBM, and I don't keep track of time as well as I used to), and have not received/installed any update to the client and like I say, my CA is working just fine.

I don't disagree at all that Verizon has a huge customer support problem. I think it is simply a result of trying to expand their FiOS and wireless footprints too fast, resulting in a need to find/hire/train a very large number of support reps, and they haven't been able to do that. I imagine this forum is an attempt to address this issue, and to some extent I think it works, or at least can - too many people come here to just rant, and to some extent I understand that they are mad and frustrated, but if they would just describe their problem(s) calmly and clearly I think they would be surprised how much help they could get. There are some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, customers and Verizon employees, and I think they really want to help.    

I positively hate the automated phone systems of all companies, not just Verizon, I want to talk to a live person, although I really don't find Verizon's to be as bad as some other systems. I know there are lots of folks that disagree with me.....

Keller, TX 76248

I was talking to someone over there not so long ago and they said they was an issue withCaller IDs not showing up any more on some users accounts. 

On the subject of Automated Call Distribution (ACD) systems, don't get me started.  They are the worse misuse of technology ever invented!  But, I guess in some cases it actually speeds things up but the prompts are so generic it is easy to get to the wrong support queue, be put on hold only to find out you need to be transferred to yet another queue to wait in.

But, any large corporation with so many products/services as verison, undoubtedly has more than a few call centers to distribute calls to.  Then, when you factor in state regulations and the need to get to state specific queues, I guess an ACD is required.  Good for Verizon, bad for us folks who only want to speak to a person.  That's why I try "0" when the ACD kicks off.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@MagicMan wrote:

I was talking to someone over there not so long ago and they said they was an issue withCaller IDs not showing up any more on some users accounts.

Ah, I do remember some posts either here or over at dslreports about that. Thanks! And I am lucky, I have never experienced that, my Caller ID has always worked with CA.

That's why I try "0" when the ACD kicks off.

And I have used saying "agent" with pretty good results.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

as ya'll mentioned, my caller ID was not working when I first signed up for FIOS (which coincided with enabling VCA).  The caller ID worked about 10% of the time.

When I disabled VCA, the caller began to work again (probably about a 95% rate).  However, VCA worked just fine for me, and I was using Vista on one PC and XP an another.

It could be a software issue, check to make sure that your internet security settings are not too high on your firewall within your router.

0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2
I appreciate the advice, but no firewall issues on my end.  I'm running Vista 64 bit.  As I mentioned, I am repeatedly told that VCA "cannot connect to the servers."  I can use VCA online, but not the desktop app.  Online everything works fine.  And again, when calling tech support the recording simply acknowledges some kind of "issue" that seems to be unresolveable, at least in a reasonable period of time.  VCA is not a big deal - but it is frustrating to be offered services and software that do not seem to perform as expected, and then not at least be given some reasonable explanation for the problems.  It's not as if these services are really "free."  I know, I know, patience is a virtue.
0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok update - solution (at least for me) seems to have been found in this post:  http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/email_friend?board.id=Home_Phone&message.id=1456

Followed steps outlined there, and VCA now seems to work fine.

0 Likes
sville991
Enthusiast - Level 1
Any chance you could post what those steps are?? When I click on the link above it just takes me to an "E-mail this Post to a Friend" screen.  Thanks.
Message Edited by sville99 on 06-23-2009 01:55 PM
0 Likes