Verizon router for VOD?
kevhow

I have been a Fios interent user for 3 years now.  On Saturday I have an install to add Fios TV also.

Here's my question.  I currently have a wireless router in between the Fios box and my PC.  The one Verizon provided died after a year, so I bought a new one.  Everything is working fine, but will I need to switch this router out and use a new one provided by Verizon?  I have read places that I need a Verizon router for VOD.  Is this true, or do they just prefer it?  If I don't have to, I'd rather not replace a router I spent good money on, and already have all of my devices working well on.

Any help is appreciated

Kevin

0 Likes
Re: Verizon router for VOD?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In order for FiOS TV to work for the Guide and VOD, the STB's need to be able to make a connection to the Internet.   This is done by using the Verizon supplied ActionTec (usually ActionTec) router which has several LAN ethernet ports, a WAN ethernet port, and a MoCA Coax-based port which supports both WAN and LAN.

You need this router in place as the first device between your network and the ONT.

This device has a special bridge inside which allows the STB's connected to the Coax to reach the LAN network (the network to which your PC is attached) and then subsequently go out thru the gateway to the Internet.   If you don't have this router installed, you will need to have one installed.

Do you know if you are provisioned to talk to the Internet (WAN) via Ethernet or Coax?  I suspect it's Ethernet based on what you've said so far, but I'd like to understand better to be certain.

0 Likes
kevhow

I'll try to answer that as best I can.  I believe I am hooked up from my router to the Verizon hardware in my garage with an ethernet cable..... and the more I think about it, I know there is no coax cable hooked up to my router, and I'm pretty sure the old router that Verizon originally gave me didn't even have the option to hook coax too it.  Possibly because Fios TV wasn't even an option in my neighborhood at the time.... it was internet only.

Will they need to completely replace my router with the Actiontec one, or will they both be able to work side by side?  I have so many things running off of my current wifi set-up, that I'm trying to avoid changing them all over if at all possible.  Of course it'll be worth it to get rid of Directv and take that **bleep** dish off the roof.

0 Likes
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had DTV and I did the same as you. I replaced the original FiOS router with one of my own when the original one died. When I ordered the TV, a moca network was set up for the DVR's to work. My router was replaced with the new ActionTec router and I moved everything over to it. The Ethernet cable to my old router was plugged into the new router along with a coax cable.

Once configured, all of my pc's came right up. I went into the new router and set the wep settings to what my old router had and everything popped right up on the network. It was very simple and painless. The ActionTec router was easy for me to configure and I was able to dump my old router. The whole installation process took no more than 45 minutes to cut the DTV lines, run a coax line to my router and hook up the DVR's. While the tech was setting up the tv's I was configuring the router with my security settings. It was that easy.

My laptops, my daughters touch, the wii, my wife's DS, our blueray player,  my blackberry and my wireless access point all came up and worked without having to make any changes to anything. The wireless signal coming from the ActionTec is great, if it was wireless N I would even be happier.

Wanting to keep an old router is not a very good reason to stay away from FiOS TV. Hardware changes all the time. You can always eBay the old stuff. You will need the Verizon router as it has protocols set up for your STB's.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@kevhow wrote:

I have been a Fios interent user for 3 years now.  On Saturday I have an install to add Fios TV also.

Here's my question.  I currently have a wireless router in between the Fios box and my PC.  The one Verizon provided died after a year, so I bought a new one.  Everything is working fine, but will I need to switch this router out and use a new one provided by Verizon?  I have read places that I need a Verizon router for VOD.  Is this true, or do they just prefer it?  If I don't have to, I'd rather not replace a router I spent good money on, and already have all of my devices working well on.

Any help is appreciated

Kevin

Here is a LINK to a FAQ on DSL Reports that details possible alternate router setups that can be used with FiOS TV.  Give it a look and see if any the information there helps.

0 Likes
kevhow

Replying to Gus_Gutz :

"Wanting to keep an old router is not a very good reason to stay away from FiOS TV. Hardware changes all the time. You can always eBay the old stuff. You will need the Verizon router as it has protocols set up for your STB's."

It isn't the fact that I care so much about the router (although it is Wireless N).  I'm just worried about getting everything back up and running (PC, laptop, PS3, Wii, cell phone, Ipod, etc).  From what you said, it seems pretty painless though.

I assume the Fios guy will set up my PC, so it's running correctly.  All you had to do was change the security settings to the same as your old router and everything was able to access the new router without any problems?  I currently have WPA settings on my router, but I assume the Actiontec one also allows for this right? 

I'm pretty good with PC's and electronics, but for some reason this whole router thing confuses the heck out of me.  In my head, I would like the Verizon guy to set up the TV's using the new router, then run an ethernet cable from the new router to the old one, and have them both work perfectly.  Somehow I doubt it's that simple though....

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

kevhow wrote: In my head, I would like the Verizon guy to set up the TV's using the new router, then run an ethernet cable from the new router to the old one, and have them both work perfectly.  Somehow I doubt it's that simple though....

Please look at the FAQ that I linked in earlier.  It covers hooking up multiple routers in various configurations.  The Verizon techs will usually NOT do anything beyond their "standard" install.

0 Likes
kevhow

Keyboards:

I did read that FAQ.  Thank you it was very helpful.  It seems like what I want to do is definitely doable.  But like you said, I'm sure the Verizon tech will just want to get the Verizon router up and running and be on his way.  After thinking about it, I think I've decided to go with the Verizon router alone for now.  If after a few days I feel like I need the wireless N, then I'll try to get mine back in the mix.  If not, I'll throw mine up on ebay and try to get some money back for it.

0 Likes