Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
larrybed4

I have the latest update and it has NOT solved the Issue, in fact the issue is now on my 7100 STB which did not have the issue before the update only my DVR 7232 2 had the problem. What now???

0 Likes
Ribeye1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all- 

I've read the entire thread, and I think I understand the problem and solution but I would like to make sure.  

The slow channel change issue is different than the slow/unresponsive remote issue others have posted about.  I've only been with VZ a few months and I initially experienced the slow channel change issue (push button, STB acknowledges, channel changes in 20-40 seconds) as well as the unresponsive remote issue (push any button numerous times, STB may acknowledge the signal the first button push or the fifth button press).  

For me the slow channel change issue is fixed, but the unresponsive remote is not.  

Thank you!

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

Ribeye,

MCM Electronics sells an IR Detector Card for $10 which can be used to test all Infrared remotes. I used these all the time when I was in the TV Repair business many years ago.

Infrared Detector

If you don't want to invest in that, you could always borrow someone's universal remote to see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't, then here is a list of other possibilities:

1 - Weak batteries in remote

2 - Not aiming directly enough

3 - Defective Remote

4 - Defective DVR or STB

5 - (rare): interference from bright sunlight or fluorescent lighting

On my 7232 P2 DVR, the front panel LED blinks when any remote button is pressed.

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I found an easier way to test your remote control using a digital camera or cellphone.

Test your remote

0 Likes
BillSM
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I got lucky a couple months ago when I called Verizon after experiencing this slow-down. They sent me a replacement VCR overnight by FedEx or UPS, which solved the problem.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

i'm in florida and have had Verizon Fios for about 6 years now.. the guide is terribly slow and sucks badly...  each press of a key on the remote while using guide navigation requires a wait time of about a second.. think about this.. say i want to see what is on TV tonight at 10 pm, and it's only 8am right now..  how many seconds do i have to wait until the guide catches up to me clicking 18 times?  and holding down the up or down button moves the guide one channel down, freezes it and lets up on some random channel as if i'm playing the lottery..  I WANT TO SEE THE GUIDE CHANNEL BY CHANNEL AND HAVE IT RESPONSIVE TO MY KEY PRESSES!  FOR CRYING OUT LOUD,  we had cable way back in the early 90s with Paragon before it became Brighthouse and the guide was instantaneous in moving with my key presses..  why does this guide not respond to me as I press the keys?  I wanted to update my box from the 2500 but I had a Verizon employee tell me he also has that box and it's not the problem.. well what is the problem!  If I upgrade my boxes to the new HD boxes will I have to pay more money to get your ridiculous service to work properly?  my guide doesn't work to a level i expect in a service.. what do i do about it?  i've already had them send signals to the box and it's done nothing.. i've reset the router and box myself a few times.. the guide is just slow.. all navigation with the remote is slow.. the only thing that isn't slow is when i enter my password.. the onscreen keyboard moves right along with my presses of the keys.. why does the keyboard to set my password work like lightning but I can't change the channel without waiting 1 second between key presses.. why do i want to sit here and watch a guide I have to wait for?

0 Likes
Re: Latency problems with STB
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

[quote]

well they checked my equipment and it's all up to date.. i have the latest 2500 version box.. so i guess i'm stuck?

this youtube video shows exactly how slow my guide is..

slow response with guide

you have to keep track of clicks in your head and wait for the guide to respond..   i don't know if they designed it this way or not..  it just doesn't appear the equipment is powerful enough to keep up with our commands.. which is frustrating..  we can do an instant chat across the world with 30mbps.. entire words hit my screen as though the person is in the room with me..  why does it have to feel like i'm talking to neil armstrong by radio on the moon using the fios guide?  if this is how it is i wish they would figure out a way for it to be more useable.. it doesn't matter how pretty it is if it's frustrating to use..  honestly, most often it's the only real frustration i face in my day is using this guide.. and i can count on it being a frustration every time i use it.   it's not worth it is it?  the only thing that sets fios tv apart from the others for me is what you offer that they don't.. and that's the guide.. if i can get a good picture with a useable guide elsewhere.. why stay with frustrating verizon?  it doesn't make sense.

[/quote]

this is exactly what I deal with!  I get ads in the mail trying to bring in new people with the bundle I have for $89 per month.. how much do I pay for being a customer from the beginning?  $155 with tax!  and they get new equipment that works for them!  I have old boxes and my guide navigation is slower than I can deal with..  why should I pay to have new boxes given to me so my service works when I also get ads from Brighthouse offering brand new equipment and a cheaper price!

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

Go to a neighbors house and see if the problem exists there. I have a FIOS DVR and there is almost no lag when pressing a navigation button. Well, maybe a quarter second but certainly not a full second.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

@blueribb wrote:

Go to a neighbors house and see if the problem exists there. I have a FIOS DVR and there is almost no lag when pressing a navigation button. Well, maybe a quarter second but certainly not a full second.

ok, for the sake of argument, you're my neighbor and don't have the problem..  now what?  how about Verizon tells me what the problem is and fixes it?

this isn't me in this video but the slowness is what i deal with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hc4xqniJx4

0 Likes
BT84
Had Sam issue yesterday and now have no Internet and no cable and there is no tech support at this time
0 Likes