Re: YES Network SCAM!
SilentH
So this became relevant again since YES network is showing the games online, but for Cablevision  subscribers in market.  My question is this, why is it Verizon's fault?  Everyone should be **bleep** at the MLB.  They are the most controlling sport out there of the major 3.  They basically make it impossible to see a game without paying for their package if you are out of market.  And their package isn't all in HD like the NFL's is.  Not everyone with YES is a Yankee fan.  In fact, Yankee fans would be a minority there.  So while YOUR personal reasons for wanting the channel might not make it worthwhile for YOU, that doesn't change it for the majority. 

If you expected to see games on the channel out of market, you haven't been paying attention to how the MLB operates.  No free rides without jumping through hoops.  Get their online package with a bunch of friends, or even 3 or 4 would be my suggestion.  It still allows multiple simultaneous logins.

0 Likes
fredsanf

"MLB would not let one team give out their games free when all other out of town fans have to pay for the extra innings package"

yeah...but they do, don't they? aren't Cubs games available nationally on WGN?

0 Likes
SilentH
Nope, because I have WGN, but don't see Cubs games other than when they are national on Fox or ESPN, or playing a local team. (Phillies, Orioles or Nationals)  It's the same as any other network.  Games are blacked unless you are in the local market.
0 Likes
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1

No that's not accurate either.  There is a select number of Cubs games broadcast on WGN America which is the version of WGN that those outside Chicago get.   It is drastically lower then what they used to show.  WGN used to show all 162 games except for the national games on ESPN or Fox. 

But WGN is not a regional sports network, they are not bound to blackout restrictions like YES is.

0 Likes
TonyF

Like you, I joined forums just to respond to this thread and try to get a clear picture of what's going on. (I could not get a straight answer when I called to sign up for FIOS service.)  I'm a long-time customer of a competitive service (which, interestingly, is also offered by Verizon...), but am seriously considering switching to FIOS for a few reasons, mostly financial.  I am a lifelong baseball fan from NY who hasn't lived in the area for 25 years.  So, the ability to get Yankee games (now in high-def) is a key factor for me -- it's the main reason I signed up for satellite over cable in the first place.  Under my current package (I pay for MLB EI), I get every Yankee game on YES in HD, unless:  1) the game is on during one of the Fox or ESPN exclusive slots; 2) the Yankees are playing one of the local teams (O's or Nationals); or 3) the game is on My 9 -- in which case I can still see it in HD on one of the many channels dedicated to MLB games in HD. 

From this thread, it seems pretty clear that my access to Yankee games will be much more limited, even if I sign up for Extra Innings (again).  Even worse, I won't be able to see the games on YES and many (if not most) of those games will not be in HD unless they are on ESPN or Fox...  Is that correct???  If so, how can that be???  Why is there only one channel dedicated to HD games on FIOS???  (What's the point of that???)  I understand that MLB controls content on out-of-market channels, but why am I able to get so many Yankee games in high def under my current subscription with the competition -- and for less money than Verizon charges for Extra Innings??? 

Unless this situation changes -- and soon -- I am seriously going to consider cancelling my scheduled installation and sticking with the competition...

Thanks.

0 Likes
psumatt1
Contributor - Level 2

re: Why is there only one channel dedicated to HD games on FIOS???  (What's the point of that???)

FIOS obtains MLB EI from In Demand - and they only provide one HD channel at this time. You will only see 1 or 2 HD games per day with FIOS TV.

DirecTV can offer more HD games with their setup. All they do is re-map existing channels to the MLB EI tier when needed. FIOS TV (or Comcast, TW, Cablevision, etc.) does not have this capability.

0 Likes
TonyF

Thank you very much, psumatt, for providing that information.  A follow-up question I would have (to anyone reading) is whether there has been any discussion of changes in this situation following the 2009 season -- either for the number of in Demand's HD channels or in Verizon's choice of partner for MLB EI? 

Thanks again.

0 Likes