fios external 2TB drive filled up, now no access to it
weq92f

I've been running my fios with external 2TB for 2 years now.  After letting it get to 100% full ( in the DVR section of the menus where it shows space used ) by accident, I can now no longer see anything that is stored there.  I see that the set is recognizing the external storage and it lists it as 100% used, but that's it.  

Any idea how I can get back to my recorded content?  I've tried unplug, reboot, plug back in then reboot but get same issue.  Anybody know of some advanced hidden menu items or procedures that may help?

Don't think the drive has failed either as it seems fine and I can get my laptop to recognize it as a disk ( can do anything further as it doesn't recognize the formatting there ).  Diagnostic against it reports that all is well and I can hear it spin up just fine with no strangeness.

On another side note, it seems that the fios set top box stops using its internal drive when the external drive is configured.  I'm referring to the buffer/cache of the show you're watching seems to be stored on the external drive. Using the internal drive for buffering while letting the recorded material land on the external drive would seem to make more sense and would perform better.  

THanks,

-klb

0 Likes
Re: fios external 2TB drive filled up, now no access to it
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@weq92f wrote:

... After letting it get to 100% full ( in the DVR section of the menus where it shows space used ) by accident, I can now no longer see anything that is stored there.  I see that the set is recognizing the external storage and it lists it as 100% used, but that's it.  

Any idea how I can get back to my recorded content? ..

In the STB Menu, there is one location that addresses capacity issues, and another section that lists actual recordings without regard to location (internal versus external drives).  What happened when you looked under "Menu/DVR/Recordings"?

0 Likes
weq92f

Looking in Menu => DVR => View Recordings...

I see stuff that has recorded recently but nothing that was on my external drive.  Once it reached 100% full, the DVR crashed.  After booting back up, all the stuff on that drive disappeared from view.  I had noticed over the last 2 years that when the external drive would approach 95% or so, the DVR would sometimes crash at random.  Going and deleting back down to around 80% prevented these crashes.

I figure this is a bug, but have no idea.  Thought there may be a quick fix for this or maybe somebody had figured a way to get past it.

-klb

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@weq92f wrote:

.. I figure this is a bug, but have no idea.  Thought there may be a quick fix for this or maybe somebody had figured a way to get past it ...

One man's bug is another man's feature.

If you consistently run the drive at 95% capacity, you are asking for trouble.  For example, would you routinely run your system drive at that level?  Probably not.

Space is cheap these days (and I realize that DVR peripherals are inherently limited), but it's indeed likely that these drives will simply become unreliable at such high recording rates.  Speculation on my part, but seems possible.

0 Likes