fios strapped to high voltage ??
jimkofmd
Enthusiast - Level 3

The fios installer tie strapped my incoming fios line to the 220V electrical service of my house from the overhead lines.  Does anyone know if that could cause intermittent sound/video drops in my service???  I know you're not supposed to do that with low voltage lines but didn't know if it affects fiber optics.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: fios strapped to high voltage ??
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fiber optics are immune to electromagnetic radiation, even when strapped to to power lines.  If the FiOS drop cable has a copper ground, that wouldn't be optimal.  Make sure it's well grounded outside your home.  I would expect an aerial drop cable to be fiber only and not have a copper ground.

The problems with your audio and video are more likely caused by problems with your in home coax, video/audio cables, or equipment.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Re: fios strapped to high voltage ??
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fiber optics are immune to electromagnetic radiation, even when strapped to to power lines.  If the FiOS drop cable has a copper ground, that wouldn't be optimal.  Make sure it's well grounded outside your home.  I would expect an aerial drop cable to be fiber only and not have a copper ground.

The problems with your audio and video are more likely caused by problems with your in home coax, video/audio cables, or equipment.

Good luck.