question # 3 about the HDMI-DVI cable
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

OK...My older DVD player is working just fine with the component video cable.

Now let's suppose that DVD player eventually stops working and I replace it with a new one.

On the newer DVD players, does the HDMI-DVI cable take the place of the component video cable or do both cables need to be used?  Can the newer DVD players function with just the HDMI-DVI cable alone?

0 Likes
Re: question # 3 about the HDMI-DVI cable
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

0 Likes
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@questioning wrote:

OK...My older DVD player is working just fine with the component video cable.

Now let's suppose that DVD player eventually stops working and I replace it with a new one.

On the newer DVD players, does the HDMI-DVI cable take the place of the component video cable or do both cables need to be used?  Can the newer DVD players function with just the HDMI-DVI cable alone?

ALL the 'High Difiniition' DVD's have both HDMI and Component Connections.  It is your choice which to use.  ALL of these DVD's can be used with HDMI ONLY.  If you choose to use Component you also need to connect audio connections, because Component unlike HDMI, carries ONLY Video.

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

I actually just answered my own question right before I saw your reply.  But thank you for confirming what I thought.  That makes a lot of sense.  I already have my existing DVD player set up with the component video cable and you are correct about needing an audio cable.  I learned that through a process of elimination when I was setting that up and I have plenty of extra audio cables in my closet, so we're definitely on the same wavelength.  My existing DVD player doesn't have the HDMI capability but the component video cable is fine.  Now I just have a better understanding of how this works.   I believe that my existing DVD player is analog but it's very good and I will glady keep it until it goes.

I was also just fooling with my TV settings.  On my "source" list, I had had TV selected as source but I switched it to HDMI, which is what I already connected to my HDTV --- what a difference in sound and picture quality.

0 Likes