remote control response is very slow
BobT434
Enthusiast - Level 2

My remote response is so slow that I end up using the controls on my 7216 DVR to get the job done.  What can I do to speed up the response?

0 Likes
Re: remote control response is very slow
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

Check the batteries on the remote.

0 Likes
BobT434
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a solution that worked for me!  Batteries were not the problem - new.  I read that some flat screen TV's (mine is an LCD) cause interferance with the remote.  When I turned off the TV, my remote worked the way it should - quickly with one touch.  TV back on and it was slugish or unresponsive.  I then moved my DVR (7216) down to the bottom self in the TV cabinet (about a foot lower) and put all my dvd's on the self above between it and the TV - it works perfectly.  I hope this helps someone out there.

frog87661
Enthusiast - Level 2

Make sure your TV is not set on vivid display. Vivid is for the store display, it creates an energy field around the TV that can block your remote function.

BobT434
Enthusiast - Level 2

I regret to say that the remote works great sometimes but not always.  Back to the drawing board.  I'll look into the "vivid" setting.

PistolPete13
Enthusiast - Level 3

If moving the box isn't an option, get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Receiver-Extender-Cable-STBs/dp/B002JSDHCY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&q...

to relocate the IR "eye" to someplace else away from the TV.

0 Likes
DataLover
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this problem for about 6 weeks and it has been drving me nuts.  The remote worked fine in the morning, but in the evening, I would have to click a dozen times before getting an STB response.  Based on another posting, I was checking out an Amazon listing of a remote IR extender.  Someone who posted a review of that product mentioned that they had been told some kinds of lighting could interfere with the remote IR signal.  Out of curiosity, I tried turning off the room lights and voila, the remote started working fine!  I then realized that, in the morning, I typically do not have the lights turned on, but in the evening I do. I also realized that  the problem had started when I had replaced some recessed incandescent lights with CFLs. My TV is in a room with multiple sets of recessed lights and so as long as the ones nearest the TV are off, my remote works. 

Being curious about some of the other postings, I wondered if the reason why placing a yellow Post It note over the STB IR receiver worked for some people is because it was filtering the light.  For me, the yellow Post It note did NOT help.  The remote worked fine with the CFLs turned off but not with them on.  However, I then tried pieces of paper of other colors and found that covering the STB receiver with a red Netflix envelope allowed the remote to work just fine even when the CFLs were turned on. 

So, at least for now, my remote is working fine and I have an understanding of what is causing the problem.  However, I do wonder why the remote ever works when the CFLs are on.  Is it possible that small fluctuations in line voltage cause some variation in amount of interfering light from the CFLs?  (Just curious now!)  Very happy to have a remote that works now.  Hope this helps at least a few people because I know how incredibly frustrating this problem is!

0 Likes
Gregory1975

My box is relatively below the TV (slightly towards the left), so I just the box to point 45 degrees away from what it used to be (in a different direction the the tv). I saw enough improvement where I can call it acceptable. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes