Re: Ellipsis 7 tablet
gdschr62
Enthusiast - Level 2

What a ridiculous suggestion to transfer data to the SD card using a computer! Why should I EVER need to link my tablet to a computer? RIDICULOUS!

0 Likes
Bigmixxx

I'd have to say, I've called on three separate issues for my tablet, one in which I had to return the device for a new one (gps issues...funny thing was, the person in the store tried to troubleshoot and said, oh you are picking up a signal -- I don't think he was as familiar with android as he should have been). 

However, on all 3 of the occasions, Tech support did say that an update was coming, they did not know the timeframe, but kept saying, end of december.

I took the liberty of doing something about it, and following the steps outlined above. (android SDK, enabling adb via the debug menu, using the pm command to set the install directory).  Works very well and actually free's up space in the app space of my device.

The MOST HORRIBLE thing that was done was preinstalled software from google play --- in the system directory...just NOT a good idea....I hope that's fixed in this update or people will take things more in their own hands...

0 Likes
jwl67

Putting the SD card in an adaptor & inserting into a pc to transfer data onto it? Welcome back to 1995. That's just not how tablets are used.

But you, Verizon, have a LOT bigger problem. The internal storage on this tablet is pathetically low. What most people have not figured out yet, but will, is this: The bloatware apps from Vz like Vz Messaging, iHeart Radio, RedBox Instant etc. are BUILT-IN apps - they cannot be removed. The core Google apps like Chrome, Google+, Playstore etc. are also built -in apps as shipped w/the tablet, but that's ok because people actually use these/depend on them.

What is happening now is that Google Chrome, Google+ CANNOT UPDATE because there's not enough space. That's after stripping just about anything possible that's not built-in. My ellipsis cannot update these key products.

Verizon, what is the answer to this??

0 Likes
jwl67

And BTW I also did the Android SDK, USB debug w/ adb pm commands etc., & it does help some. Still cannot install updates to Chrome & Google+. Big Problem, VZW.

0 Likes
rive
Enthusiast - Level 3

No.

For security reasons Android stopped allowing direct access for apps off external sd card after gingerbread.  (Unless rooted)

Anyways, Ellipsis 7 is a horrible low end tablet device that is already running an outdated version of Android (current version is kitkat 4.4.2) 8GB storage is nothing, its got low res 720p, no HDMI support, no wireless charging support, a slow quad core @ 1.2ghz

That's why I bought a nexus 7 2013 lte and have Verizon on it. You should have read the Ellipsis reviews....

For more info, see:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1034126#1034126

0 Likes
rive
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is another review on how poorly the Ellipsis performs, and on top of the poor graphics (no HD 1080p), the CPU struggles, the Bluetooth version is 3 (current is 4.0), so its much slower also, then its less than the 8GB storage...so don't plan on installing many apps (8GB is pretty useless on a tab)

Read away...

http://www.neowin.net/news/review-verizon-ellipsis-7-budget-friendly-meets-performance-woes

0 Likes
gpan099
Enthusiast - Level 3

The end of December has come and gone, and users of the Ellipsis 7 still cannot update system apps on their device because of the 1 GB limit on app space on the device.

Matthew, is there any update from Verizon customer service on the promised update?

Thanks.

Kieta
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you know when there will be an update released to fix the storage problem? I like the tablet and it is snappy and useful but this storage limitation is a big problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi gpan099,

We know how important it is to have the most up to date software on your device. At this time there is no word on when the newest update will be available for the Ellipsis . You can however stay up to date with any news on updates and devices by going to: http://bit.ly/n5snpq

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gpan099
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks Karen for your reply, but I wasn't talking about "the latest software version," I was talking about a fix to the 1GB limit placed on app space that is preventing users of this tablet from updating basic apps that came with the tablet. It has nothing to do with the latest version of Android, it is the way the tablet software was set up by Verizon. Customer Service told multiple customers including myself that the issue would be addressed in late December, and that window has come and gone. Surely someone at Verizon knows the status of this issue, other than "we don't know when'" and and a link to another marketing site with no information. Someone should  step up and provide an update to the timeline, if not the actual fix.