Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
22 months of unauthorized TMP charged to my account
Halmon263

I bought a new phone in 2018 and TMP was added without my knowledge and I returned the phone a few days later, but TMP remained on my account even though I returned the device and got an Iphone direct from apple with AppleCare+.  Customer service couldn't help beyond a 3 month refund of the 22 months I was charged.  I never noticed it on my bill, probably because it's called 'total mobile protection' instead of 'phone insurance', and hidden in the bill.  I contacted Verizon leadership via web form but never got a confirmation, so I am pasting my message below hoping to get some sort of response.  This is how they treat us for using autopay and trusting their billing.  You may say I am stupid for trusting a phone company and failing to see the charge in my bill, but I did trust them and I don't deserve to be out in the cold as a result.  It used to be that they tried to trick us into buying their lousy insurance.  Now that people have caught on to how worthless carrier insurance is, they have resorted to just putting it on peoples' bill and hoping they don't notice, and if they do, hoping they'll be happy with a disproportionately small refund.  There is no accountability.  At least that's how it seems - prove me wrong Verizon.  

---

I am writing leadership because I was not fully satisfied with the service I received via the typical channel. Let me start by saying I have been a Verizon customer for over ten years. Your network is excellent. I have been paying for total mobile protection unknowingly since Nov 2018. I never would have knowingly authorized these charges, because my device has been covered under AppleCare+ extended coverage which I paid for out of pocket when I bought that phone. TMP being on my account was some sort of error, more on that later.

In fact, I had a very bad experience with insurance through Verizon 3rd party insurance approximately 6 years ago that I'll never forget and would never, ever have knowingly purchased the insurance again after that experience. Back then in Indianapolis the Verizon Store rep that talked me into buying it said my phone would be replaced and neglected to inform of a deductible, I found out the hard way. When I went to file the claim and was surprised by the deductible the 3rd party insurance rep laughed and said its insurance of course it has a deductible.

Back to the issue at hand: TMP that I had been getting charged for cost me $15/mo over 22 mo totaling $330. $45 was refunded when I brought the issue up with Verizon a couple months ago. That still puts me $285 in the hole for TMP I didn't want. I purchased a new Samsung at a Verizon store in New Orleans in Nov 2018. Apparently, that’s when TMP got added according to your rep I spoke with a couple months ago. I returned the device a few days later for a refund because I wanted to get an Iphone instead. I immediately bought an Iphone from the Apple store in New Orleans and purchased AppleCare+ at point of sale. Apparently the TMP with Verizon stayed on my account even though I returned the Samsung device. I never noticed it in my bill, you really have to look for it and find the right tab. If it was called “phone insurance” I probably would have noticed a lot sooner, but the item name “total mobile protection” is vague. I finally noticed a couple months ago when looking at my plan and contemplating an upgrade - then I called customer support. They only provided a 3-month refund. I asked to show documentation that I signed up for it in the first place, such a policy page or a signature. Nothing was provided. Apparently, it was me the customer’s responsibility to think to cancel the insurance I never authorized for the device I just returned after only a few days. And failure to do so cost me approximately $285 at the time of this correspondence.

I had water damage to my screen this year, and I filed the claim under my AppleCare+ plan that I knowingly signed up for. I can document all of the above. The fact that I used the AppleCare in this claim shows I wasn’t aware of this other insurance. I would like a full refund of the amount I paid for this duplicate insurance, less the $45 I was already refunded. The reason I signed up for AppleCare + is because their policy is well known and transparent and follows a specific device, and clearly states the deductibles and costs. Again, I will state I would never have agreed to a carrier 3rd party insurance for my phone, ever. Please let me know what can get done about this? I’ll reiterate I have been a happy customer of Verizon otherwise and appreciate your superior network above all else. I would like to get a refund for the months I have been paying for TMP and remain a loyal customer. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to hearing back.

0 Likes
Re: 22 months of unauthorized TMP charged to my account
Tigerstep

Autopay isn't an excuse to not check your bills. Accountability for what's on your bill falls on you, not some stranger in a call center who never spoke to you before.

Last time I got a phone through Verizon, I monitored my bill and noticed a surcharge unique to my line. Came to find out that was due to being in one of the few states that rolls the tax of the phone into the bill vs up front. The very act of checking my bill would have caught things like insurance and other features I didn't sign up for. 

Adding TMP without permission does fall on Verizon, but only initially. By not bringing it up sooner, it's the same as consenting for the charge. As a former transfer your service rep who also fielded customer service overflow calls, I've personally dealt with the opposite. Remember a call vividly of someone calling in irate because she dropped her brand new thousand dollar phone outside a store and couldn't get any help since she had no insurance. Some stores add preemptively because of situations like that. Personally, I'm a believer of don't add anything without a request, but just giving another perspective of why it was probably added.

You're only offering 3 months worth because policy. With your bills easily accessable online and through the app, not checking and unknowingly paying are two different things.

Best thing to do here is move on. You got some compensation and the billable feature removed. I've done this with an Amazon sub I didn't pay better attention to and learned from that. When it comes to money, the only one you can trust is yourself.

0 Likes
Halmon263

Best practice is to thoroughly check my statement, I get that.  But I don't believe its legal for any company who has my credit card number to just charge me for for whatever 'service' they decide I 'need', and it's all good as long as I don't notice in time, because of a made up company policy.  That's what happened here.  Because this is what happened, I had duplicate coverage on a phone.  What benefit, what service have I received for this 330 dollars?  Not only did I not ask for the service, but I did not have one single measurable benefit or peace of mind from this insurance.  My premium never resulted in a covered claim, and the covered claim that did occur was claimed on the other policy through Apple.   So how much would it hurt Verizon and/or their third party insurer to refund my money?  What happened to ethics?  I can back this all up, its not like I got a free phone or something, I literally got nothing out of this.  Are they really going to burn me on a technicality when I have been nothing but a great customer paying $100+ a month?  Thing is, I'm not even a complainer.  I buy something on amazon I don't like, I keep it and don't buy it again.  I order a meal and if it tastes bad I don't go to the restaurant anymore, etc, etc... but this is on a whole other level.  I have spent quite a lot of time trying to get ahold of someone at Verizon who can listen to my specific situation but they really don't have much to say and couldn't care less.  It's just crazy that you can charge someone that much money and not give them the time of day.  I'm trying to think of other successful companies who do this kind of stuff, its just such a nightmare I had to complain, this isn't normal or right.  It makes me want to cancel my credit card.

0 Likes
Halmon263

Thank you for your response though, even though we don't totally agree, it's appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are here to aid in any way we can. Please send us a Private Note to proceed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are here to help with your concerns. Please let us know if you would like to continue with your concerns to better assist. Based on your last message we want to make sure your issue is resolved. How can we further assist? 

0 Likes
Marcimfree

I have simple questions about what I can have with my data plan and to get email on my phone but I cannot reach a live person with Verizon. 
No matter what - or when- no human connection. I thought TOTAL PROTECTION Included support. I didn’t know that meant only using the “community” to find someone else who had my same problem and what they did. How can I reach this tech support for which I pay every month? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello! We will be happy to answer any questions that you have in mind. Please tell us, what exact support do you need regarding your total mobile protection? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
suzanne99

The same thing happened to me. Did they ever resolve it for you?

0 Likes
kh-taylarie

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes