Re: 10 Device limit in a smart home environment
chasemx41
Enthusiast - Level 2

This thread deserves a bump. Very disappointed as a new customer to find out on my own about the 10 device limits. 

Underbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

PLEASE CLARIFY THESE STATEMENTS:

"The LTE Home Internet supports up to 10 devices on 2.4 Ghz WIFI and up to 30 devices on 5 Ghz WIFI.  -  11-04-2020 02:07 PM 

"you can simultaneously connect up to 10 devices via WiFi". -  ‎11-16-2020 10:33 AM

"The device is limited to connecting to 20 devices, and 4 devices through Ethernet"  -  11-26-2020 06:43 PM

40 devices?

10 devices?

24 devices?

PLEASE give us a complete, researched, correct answer.

Additionally, this limitation is just simply not acceptable to some customers.

I've been struggling with this system for weeks. MONTHS even!

This is the first time I'm hearing that there are such restrictions on the number of clients the gateway can handle.

Only FOUR clients through Ethernet??

Does that include devices connected to an access point, which is then connected via ethernet to the Verizon LTE Home Router ASK-RTL108?

I have a home network, with 2 wireless routers, and 3 outdoor Access Points. We have a number of IOT devices, like outlets and bulbs and cameras on the property, in the house, garage, utility shed...  Most likely I have about 15 outlets, 8 switches, 10 light bulbs, 12 IP cameras, a few thermostats, some motion detectors... things that help me keep an eye on the farm, my animals, and the gates. 

So that's more than 50 connected devices on the property, and it doesn't even include streaming services on TV's, or the personal Phones, Tablets, Laptops, and Alexa speakers which belong to the other people in my family!

Is the device limit on the Verizon LTE Home Router ASK-RTL108, the reason this connection keeps dropping the internet when I try to integrate it into my home network?

If I plug an ethernet cable from the Verizon gateway to a single wireless Access Point, it may (or may not) work for a short time but, within an hour, everything (Maybe 18 devices) on that network loses internet access.

The gateway still shows a green LED on front, and Network Status in the Admin UI claims that the connection is good, but nothing is connected. 

Would this happen because the access point I plugged in had too "many devices" connected, for the gateway to handle?

If so, this is ridiculous.

Cell Phones, iPods, Tablets, Laptops, and a few desktop computers, in a household of 5 people, easily exceeds 25 clients.

I spent 2 weeks testing internet speeds, and reliability of this service, versus the internet service I had at the time. (Wireless from a mountain 13 miles away from the house) 

For 14 days, Verizon had more consistent speeds & uptime, so I called my ISP and had them remove their equipment, and cancel my service.

I ran ethernet cable across the house, so I could integrate the Verizon connection into my network, and now everyone in my house is angry at me, because they can rarely connect to the internet.

The User Guide for this router doesn't mention any restrictions to a specific number of clients. These connected client restrictions, with the Verizon gateway, should REALLY be clearly advertised before purchase of the service & router.

Try to consider the headaches that you're setting us up for, between canceling current ISP's, integrating your equipment into our networks, and disrupting an entire family/household's connections for school, work, and everything else, in the midst of a pandemic with home isolation in a semi-remote, rural location.

I'm angry and frustrated.

We need a reasonable answer to increasing the number of devices (unlimited, since it's MY home network, and YOUR equipment should only be providing internet access for my network, not dictating what items I need to REMOVE from my home network)

And please, be aware: This is a huge inconvenience, and many of us would NOT have signed up, were this disclosed before purchase.

So if this can't be solved, and the only solution is to cancel the Verizon service, and return to our previous ISP, I sincerely expect that Verizon will waive the $240 charge for the gateway, rather than try to punish us with an early cancellation fee.

Especially since it will already cost us $150 to have our previous equipment re-installed, since we cancelled that service to hire yours.

Hopefully you can understand my frustration.

Underbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Be aware:

11-16-2020 10:33 AM

AntonioC_VZW said: 

"Please confirm that you can simultaneously connect up to 10 devices via WiFi on number 13 at this link (https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone-faqs/). "

This link is for a different service, and different hardware. 

If you have Verizon LTE Home Internet, with the white router (ASK-RTL108) Then that link DOES NOT APPLY to you.

Verizon-Home-LTE-ASK-RTL108.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure that correct information is being provided. The amount of device that can make a connection can vary based on the frequencies used. We want to make sure that you are able to get the most from the device and service. Please advise of the current issues you are noticing so we can work one by one and help find a resolution. 

0 Likes
sabatorious
Enthusiast - Level 1

THIS. THIS! I discovered after so many late nights and hours of troubleshooting what has been uncovered in this thread, that there is currently a limit of 10 devices on 2.4ghz. This is simply an unacceptable limit considering most smart home devices are 2.4ghz only and will not run on 5ghz. It's not like these devices are using a lot of data. When will this be resolved with a firmware update to my LTE home router? 

MainerUSNR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone, here is what I found seems to help. I added a older Netgear router via a cable to the Verizon ASK-RTL108 4G LTE router. I then moved 6 wifi cameras, a old laptop, the printer and our smart TV over the the second router's wifi signal. All these devices were 2.4 Ghz only. I checked my Verizon router network map and the network doesn't show these items anymore, just the wired router that I added.

tharais

I'm flumoxed by this as well.  Was about to order the VZ LTE 4G to replace my AT&T service, because 5G isn't available where I live.  I use only the modem and have an Orbi Mesh router plugged in behind that for routing.  I wanted to keep a similar set up with the VZ system.  I can't get a straight answer about the 10 device limit.  If it is true, it would be useless to my smarthome set up with around 30 devices from robot vac, light controls, ROKU TVs, all connected via AP to my Orbi routers.  

Thanks all for this info.  It stopped me from ordering the VZ 4G LTE Router.  At least until VZ provides a clear and concise answer as to whether or not:  1) The 4G device can be used as modem only and, 2) If so, will the total number of devices on the network be limited to 10 or, will the VZ modem/router accept the Orbi as one device and ignore all the device counts that are connected to the Orbi.

I was really, really hoping this would be my new setup too.  I was thinking let Orbi handle DHCP and routing and 4G LTE as modem only would be the ticket.  It's faster and better priced and probably a lot more reliable than my AT&T Uverse I wanted to replace.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To clarify, Are you wanting to connect your Orbic device as one of the 10 devices? 

0 Likes
Underbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Direct Questions for Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Home Router (ASK-RTL108) & Internet Service

1. Number of connected devices:

I've seen several conflicting answers for how many devices can connect to the LTE Home Router (ASK-RTL108)

1a. How many devices can wirelessly connect via 2.5ghz?

1b. How many devices can wirelessly connect via 5ghz?

1c. How many devices can connect via ethernet?

2. Adding Equipment to expand device connectivity

Months ago, I tried to incorporate the LTE Home Router (ASK-RTL108) into my existing home network. All attempts to connect various routers with different configurations, via ethernet, ended with all devices losing connectivity within 40 minutes. We want to add MANY devices to our home network, without restrictions from the LTE Home Router (ASK-RTL108)

2a. If I add a router, via ethernet, will the gateway still restrict the number of devices connected?

2b.  How do we configure the gateway to provide internet access, and an ethernet connected router to provide a local network? 

0 Likes
Underbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey MainerUSNR

It's great that your setup is working!

Can you share any configuration details about how you've connected everything?

Each time I try to add a router, the whole system crashes at some point. 

Usually within an hour, all our devices lose connection, while the Verizon Router still shows green lights, and the Admin panel states it's "connected"

So can you share with us how you have the Verizon Router, and your Netgear router configured? 

I've read that some people added the second routers IP to the DMZ settings of the VZ Router.

Others have suggested turning off DHCP on the VZ router

Do you have any advice?

0 Likes