5G Home Internet Blocking Access
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the 5G Home Internet Router, this seemed like the most applicable forum to post it in

I just hooked up my entire house to the router and noticed a variety of services I'm having problems connecting to.

- Nest

- Google Assistant (intermittent errors - it will say "something went wrong" - this has never happened in the past with my previous Internet provider)

- A couple of news apps

- Hulu, Disney+

Other similar services work fine; it's only some of these I know of.

When I turn off WiFi on my phone all of those apps/websites work (yes I have Verizon mobile data plan)

When I stay on the Verizon 5G Home Router Wifi and then turn on a VPN application all the apps/websites work

When I tried changing DNS it did not help, still was blocked.

It seems like Verizon 5G Home Router service is actively blocking some services, has anyone else experienced this problem before?

Since I still have my cable Internet provider, I moved problematic devices back to that and they are working without issue!

This is a major issue if Verizon is actively blocking websites or worst slowing them down or hindering their abilities.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5G Home Internet Blocking Access
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I resolved this issue myself by attaching my own wireless access point directly to the Ethernet ports available on the Verizon 5G Home Router. It appears the firewalls or some switching/routing mechanisms do not allow you to attach a router to Verizon 5G Home Router, then attached your own router or switch, then plug in a wireless access point to that.

tldr; Verizon's 5G Home Router firewalls only support two hops between it and the end device

won't work: phone > wireless ap > my router > verizon 5G home router
does work: phone > wireless ap > verizon 5G home router
does work: computer > my router > verizon 5G home router

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

For issues related to 5G Home, please refer to the 5G Home page on the Verizon Fios Community.  

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good evening, nictrix! We want to make sure that your 5G Home Internet is working fine. Just to confirm, are you having issues when the VPN is enabled, or when it is not? Have you noticed any connection issues with your phone, tablets, or PC's?

-Marshall

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not working for phones and tablets, computers without apps work okay, but Google assistant, Disney plus and Hulu all have issues doing anything with my home wifi 

It's only certain things, it's very strange, can you help?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you sharing this with us, nictrix. We certainly want to ensure that your home internet device is working correctly. When did this first start happening with the devices that you shared with us?

-Brett

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since I got the device last month, this is the first time having this new service.

I noticed the routers timestamp is one hour ahead of me, maybe that's some of the problem?

While on my cable modem from Cox I never seen these problems, I'll have to move back to it if these problems cannot be resolved. Should I contact support directly via phone?

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I resolved this issue myself by attaching my own wireless access point directly to the Ethernet ports available on the Verizon 5G Home Router. It appears the firewalls or some switching/routing mechanisms do not allow you to attach a router to Verizon 5G Home Router, then attached your own router or switch, then plug in a wireless access point to that.

tldr; Verizon's 5G Home Router firewalls only support two hops between it and the end device

won't work: phone > wireless ap > my router > verizon 5G home router
does work: phone > wireless ap > verizon 5G home router
does work: computer > my router > verizon 5G home router
0 Likes
Mr_Hankey
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a similar issue. I can confirm that some ports are not blocked, and some ports are with simple port checking tools. After several attempts to communicate with support, I cannot get an answer. When I switch back to previous provider all works.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

If you need assistance, please send us a Private Note.

*Carla

0 Likes