ASK-NCQ1338 signal and band information
excelte
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can I see the detailed LTE band and signal strength information on the ASK-NCQ1338 LTE Home Gateway? Most hotspots have a menu option option to see the connection details.  This is very helpful when selecting the device location. I can't find this in the menus or user guide. All the device seems to say is whether it is connected.

What am I missing?

Labels (1)
Re: ASK-NCQ1338 signal and band information
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the importance of getting the details of your device, excelte. Please try the following link, and let me know if that helps.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-238374/

-Vanessa

0 Likes
excelte
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! I saw that article as well. Unfortunately that info is no longer available with the current firmware.  The current manual does not show that info either.

0 Likes
lifeasandythompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed. @vzw_customer_support what options do we have to help determine the band the router is connected to?

/adt
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

excelte Sure thing. We are here should you need anything. -Dolores

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Excellent question! If you do not mind us asking, is there a particular reason why you are checking the band that the router is connected to? ~Gilbert

excelte
Enthusiast - Level 2

The reason for seeing the band and signal details is to find the best position for the router. I have used hotspots with this info and it is very easy to compare the service at different locations around the house and thus find the best location for placement. Sometimes moving the hotspot a few feet or even inches makes a big difference. There could be wall insulation, beams, etc. blocking signals.

Running speedtests is useful, but it takes more time. And speedtests vary. So you could move the router, see a lower speedtest, and think it is a worse location. By seeing the signal, SNR, etc., you may see that the new location is really better.  Several speedtests over time may confirm this, but is more difficult and time consuming.

Seeing the band also helps, since you are able to better compare apples to apples. A weaker signal may force the router to shift to a lower frequency. It may appear better, but again, a location at a higher frequency may actually be better since the signal is stronger. Locations with stronger signals across bands also provide more flexibility for reliable service.

Lastly, placing the router in the best location helps both the subscriber and Verizon. Weak signals increase the airtime to transmit data as well as providing slower speeds. This slows down the network for everyone.

It seems to me that this feature is even more important on a home LTE router which will not be moved much once it is installed. Bad placement will result in poor performance for a long time.

Emsworth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I moved the router from the top of one bookcase to another which were about 6 feet apart and the download speed went from 2 Meg to 30 Meg.  I was lucky to find a sweet spot but band and signal information would be very helpful

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This may not help with finding which signal the ASK-NCQ1338 router is connected to, but you could use the following application on your phone to see which signals are available and which direction they originate from. It might help to find a ideal location for placing the router to get the best connection.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you sharing this with us and we definitely want to make sure that you are on the right path to getting the assistance that you need with our 5G Gateway router, Emsworth. For our clarification, can you please describe what you do mean by asking if there is a way to pass straight through this router and put a working router behind it?

-Brett

0 Likes