Cameras and Novatel T1114 Broadband Router/Tablet Hotspot/Jetpack
bdm87

So I want to monitor my calving barn remotely at home, work or otherwise with some cameras.  The barn is a mile away from my home, and has electricity but no current internet service.  So I bought some D-Link DCS-5020L outdoor cameras.  I don't plan to stream video, but instead just check in a few times per day to see if there are any problems or new calves...I don't think data will be a problem because the app turns off the cameras when I'm done with it.  My thoughts were that I would be able to use my tablet hotspot as the conduit for video viewing.  Apparently I was wrong and should have read up on it more.  I went through all of the setup instructions, but things came to a halt when it attempted register it on the mydlink site.  After several attempts, I looked here and found a lot of discussion on NAT, public vs private IP address, static IP, port forwarding, etc...  Most of which I don't know much about or fully comprehend but I've tried to learn.  By the sounds, it's nearly impossible...but I'm sure people are doing it.

So if I can't do it with my tablet hotspot...how about using a Novatel T1114 broadband router with voice.  I have a friend with this very same setup and these D-Link cameras hardwired with an Ethernet cable.  After I learned I couldn't do it with my tablet hotspot, I searched on this Novatel router with cameras...and have seen as many topics indicating that it couldn't be accomplished either without a lot of work.  How can that be if my friend's setup is working fine?  I am certain if his setup wasn't plug and play it wouldn't be working.  I'm just a little gunshy about buying more hardware and not getting it to work.  Has something changed with Verizon that my friend's setup still works and I couldn't get it operational now?

So what's the deal, what do I need to do?  Can't I get something plug and play to work with this router, a tablet hotspot or a jetpack?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cameras and Novatel T1114 Broadband Router/Tablet Hotspot/Jetpack
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This device, I believe, will provide a public IP address to allow you to remotely access cameras and other security devices. I'm not sure where to find the documentation which indicates which devices are assigned a public IP address or a private IP address.   Verizon LTE Internet and Home Phone | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bdm87

Thank you for your answer.  I will order one and see what it does.

Why do other articles on the community forum (search: T1114 4g router with security camera setup?) indicate that VZW broadband device all rest behind the VZW NAT firewall and that I would need to either 1)setup and VPN server, 2)purchase a static/public IP address from VZW or 3) change service providers?  Just concerned of spending countless hours and dollars trying to get something to work that isn't able to. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A Jetpack, mifi, or USB modem will have a private IP address assigned to it which puts it behind the NAT firewall. Other devices like the one linked above are assigned public IP addresses.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bdm87

Got it.  Thanks for you help.

0 Likes
Wbman1000

This is not entirely accurate.

The T1114 router, like all Verizon devices will show a public address....but...it's NOT your public ip address.

VZ is doing what's called a double Nat on their devices.  This means there are 2 firewalls/routers on their side.  The one you connect to, and the one the world's connect to.  They route your connection from one to the other.

So, the public address you see fo r you connection is their public facing firewall, while you, are connected to their private firewall.

For cameras....this means that unless the camera itself connects to a cloud server and presents views from there, that you have no remote access to your cameras.

The fix is either pay the $500 to get a static address from them, or use a VPN solution.

I got all but the VPN solution from an advanced level support person.  I was able to verify this independently as well.

So, at least for VZ , without static from them, or paying for a VPN solution, forget the idea about just about all remote camera access.

It's not them truly doing active blocking, it's their network setup. 

Problem is, you purchase this device, only to find out afterwards that it has a high chance of not working.   To me, you should sell a router to someone, anyone that cannot actually support the intended use correctly without a high additional cost.

Those that got it to work are lucky.... i have an entire camera security system that only works internally.  Unless I remote into one of my systems and view it that way.

0 Likes
APAPANIC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can someone tell me the specifics of doing the VPN alternative?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

steps to using a VPN with a Verizon mobile broadband device:

1. Purchase a Verizon mobile broadband device

2. Purchase a subscription to a VPN service

3. Configure a client to auto connect to the VPN service

4. When you want to see whatever is connected to the VZW device, connect your PC to the same VPN Server.  All of the devices will appear to be local to the VPN Server network that you purchased.

The reason this works around the VZW firewall is because a VPN client reaches out to the VPN server and establishes a pathway back to the VZW device first.  Without that pathway all your remote devices will see if is the Public IP address of the Firewall, not your specific device.  You have to reach through the firewall before anything can respond or request information.

In the situation of a camera it is unlikely they support a VPN Client directly on each camera.  In that case you must first establish a router that can support a VPN client.  Then configure all cameras to connect to that router.  Then configure the router to connect to your VZW device as the modem or default gateway to the internet.  From that point forward the router will auto connect to the VPN server making anything it has access to available to the VPN server too.

Many cameras now offer a cloud service.  This is an acceptable solution in many cases and functions the same way as a VPN server.  The cloud service on the camera reaches through the VZW firewall to a cloud camera server somewhere on the internet.  When you want to see the camera you connect to the cloud server or service.  Much less overhead than setting up your own VPN service at the expense of some privacy.

0 Likes
APAPANIC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh man,

This is exactly what I needed thanks John!! I use PIA for VPN service, however the Cameras are connected to an NVR so that should be easy so I don't have to set up each cam.