Can I set up a remote camera connection through a dns server?
patdc

I set up a dns account and I still cant connect to my camera's. I opened the port. It works at my office but not on my job site

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: remote camera connection through a dns server
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I set up a dns account and I still cant connect to my camera's.

Are you referring to a remote connection to security cameras?  If so then it is the VZW NAT firewall that is blocking your connections.  This is a well known limitation of the 4G LTE network ever since its deployment.  You cannot configure your devices around it.

The current work arounds are as follows:

1. Setup a VPN router and connect the cameras to a VPN server, when you want to view the cameras then connect to the same VPN server and view them as if they are locally connected.

2. Purchase a static IP from VZW for $500

3. Terminate your service and switch to a provider with public IP addresses

If you happen to be referring to accessing the cameras on the same local network that is a different problem.

View solution in original post

Re: remote camera connection through a dns server
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I set up a dns account and I still cant connect to my camera's.

Are you referring to a remote connection to security cameras?  If so then it is the VZW NAT firewall that is blocking your connections.  This is a well known limitation of the 4G LTE network ever since its deployment.  You cannot configure your devices around it.

The current work arounds are as follows:

1. Setup a VPN router and connect the cameras to a VPN server, when you want to view the cameras then connect to the same VPN server and view them as if they are locally connected.

2. Purchase a static IP from VZW for $500

3. Terminate your service and switch to a provider with public IP addresses

If you happen to be referring to accessing the cameras on the same local network that is a different problem.