Can IP cameras be connected through a 4g lte router?
jerryw61

I  router. I have no broadband service available, and therefore I need help with connecting wireless ip camera connection.through 4g lte.does anyone have any experience?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: can ip cameras be connected through 4g lte router
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  I need help with connecting wireless ip camera through 4g lte does anyone have any experience?

Connecting a wireless device to a 4G LTE Router would be similar to connecting the cameras to another Access Point.  The specific connection process or steps will depend on what specific IP cameras you have.

Getting the cameras connected to the 4G LTE router is one issue.  What you will likely will have more problems with is remotely accessing the cameras once you get them connected to the router as most people with IP cameras intend to do.  VZW broadband devices rest behind a NAT firewall which hides the public IP address of your connected machines.  You can only access the cameras from the local 4G Router network by default which may or may not be what you intend to do.  Remote accessing your IP cameras requires a work around to the NAT firewall.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  I need help with connecting wireless ip camera through 4g lte does anyone have any experience?

Connecting a wireless device to a 4G LTE Router would be similar to connecting the cameras to another Access Point.  The specific connection process or steps will depend on what specific IP cameras you have.

Getting the cameras connected to the 4G LTE router is one issue.  What you will likely will have more problems with is remotely accessing the cameras once you get them connected to the router as most people with IP cameras intend to do.  VZW broadband devices rest behind a NAT firewall which hides the public IP address of your connected machines.  You can only access the cameras from the local 4G Router network by default which may or may not be what you intend to do.  Remote accessing your IP cameras requires a work around to the NAT firewall.

rhoster99

What is the workaround? Please provide details.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

There are two ways to work around the VZW NAT firewall:

- Setup a VPN server and install a VPN client somewhere on your network.  Then forward all local camera traffic to the VPN server.  Log into the VPN server to see your remote cameras.

- Purchase cameras with Cloud services.  Cloud services punch through the VZW NAT and talk to a centralized public server.  You then connect to that cloud service website to access your cameras instead of connecting directly into the cameras like you would if they were on your LAN.

0 Likes