Data usage reported when 4g LTE Router is OFF
LACUZNS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been having the same issues for several months now and cannot get an answer.  My 4g LTE route was off for 5 days and still consumed data every 6 hours like clock work.  Yesterday I performed a factory reset of the device and it then turned it off at 6:30 pm.  When the device was power off, I checked my usage report on line, while on the phone with a Tier 2 tech, and no data usage was reported.  I also logged in around 7:15 PM last night and there was no data usage listed for 6:15 PM.  Image my surprise when I logged onto my account this morning and find data usage listed for 6:15 PM, 0.05289 GB and at 12:15 AM for 0.01792. I have yet to get an answer as to how the device is using data when it is powered off but my data usage has increased dramatically over the last several months.  The answer I have received, too many time to count, is "lets increase your data plan".  While this works great for Verizon, all I am doing is spending more money for data and still have not able to use it due to my router eating data.  Any help would be appreciated on this issue.

Labels (1)
Re: Data usage reported when 4g LTE Router is OFF
LACUZNS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just checked my data usage and once again the router is still using data while powered off since Thursday at 6:30 pm.  At this point I don't know what to think.  The majority of data usage is in the data & communications category, which is not something I use.  I'm beginning to wonder if my SIMS card has been cloned.  So far the techs at Verizon keep implying it is not really powered off and I'm just trying to scam on my data usage. So frustrated I'm seriously considering canceling the line.

vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Have you loaned your phone to someone even to just make a phone call or has anyone had access to it without your knowledge?

What type of phone do you have?

Have you tried removing your sim card and reinserting it?

how about clearing your cache?

Are you talking about standby or power off maybe there is a app using data in the background?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How exactly was the LTE router turned off? Is there an off switch or was it unplugged?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OP is asking about a LTE router not a phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

okay Ann isn't the data being used from a phone?

Have you tried removing your sim card and reinserting it?

0 Likes
LACUZNS
Enthusiast - Level 3

The data is being used by a 4g LTE Router and it is powered off with a power button.  If you unplug the device, it will stay on until the battery backup dies.  The SIMS card is not a simple insert or remove on this.  My phones don't show excessive data usage, only the router and I havent been able to get any help from Verizon other than upping the data plan.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Is it possible the data is coming from the network trying to establish connection to the subscribed 4G LTE Router?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
LACUZNS
Enthusiast - Level 3

If the network is using data when the device is turned off, this is a flaw on the Verizon network side.  If the device is turned off, there should not be any data usage For my account.  There are times when it shows almost a gb of data being used in a 6 hour time period and it is powered off.  In ffact, it has been off for most of this billing period and still used over 10gb of data.  My phones use less data than this powered off router. And no, it is not the phones eating data, it is tracked separately for each device.

0 Likes
LACUZNS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are the last couple of days data usage in GB, with the router powered off.

11/04/20176:14 AM0.05656
11/04/201712:14 AM0.00721
11/03/20176:14 PM0.08782
11/03/201712:15 PM0.07132
11/03/20176:15 AM0.01301
11/03/201712:15 AM0.01792

0 Likes