Re: Data usage reported when 4g LTE Router is OFF
hipkts
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

Thanks for the response.

Please see my comments below.

I have downloaded a program that monitors the usage on my primary computer and my play computer also so I can track when I actually use the internet and what the program thinks I have used.

Curiously enough, even the MiFi does not agree with what the program indicates.

William

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Setting up data monitors on your PCs is a good idea.  However, note that Verizon will not validate any personal data you collect on your personal machines.  All they care about is the data logs on their side of the equation. 

These efforts are not fruitless though.  Its always good to see what is going on with your PCs and their network connections.  If the machines are consuming data the logs you setup will show it.  Then perhaps you can go back to the VZW logs and see if anything matches up or not.  Search for trends and see if anything is related or not.

Verizons ace in the hole in this scenario is that they don't care about your personal machines or their logs, they only care about the Jetpack and what the Jetpack reports.  Its possible the Jetpack is compromised and someone is connecting without your knowledge or consent.  In which case its all the same to VZW.  That's why turning off the Jetpack is the only definitive evidence in a data usage dispute.  The Jetpack cannot consume data even if its compromised if it is turned off.

0 Likes
hipkts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Funny that you would say that about Verizon not taking my recorded usage as

a comparison. I said that same thing when a recent phone call with Verizon

support told me to get a program to track my usage.

So basically I use what Verizon says I use when they say I use it.

Regardless of if the device is turned off or not. Since the times cannot be

related. I leave my device turned off for 20 hours and use 500mb of data

with it turned off but cannot prove anything because there is a possible

"delay" in the reporting.

So, with the Verizon reporting method there does not appear to truly be any

way to track my actual usage.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Hi John if this was happening

"3. Your device is off and this is delayed data usage reporting due to Extended Service Area agreements with the local tower owners"

Tracking your usage would still be the same billed just the time stamps would be off.

Also "The Jetpack cannot consume data even if its compromised if it is turned off."

what if someone has cloned the devices signal and is using a cloned jetpack or facsimile down the street while the original it turned off.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could it be possible that the Jetpack, despite being switched off, is still communicating with the network? The usage would be for Administrative purposes as opposed to user activity. Even GPS functionality consumes data and battery life when smartphones are turned off.

I, myself, do not own a Jetpack, so, this is pure speculation on my part.

Still, if the unit were to be turned off for an extended period of time, the internal battery would, eventually, discharge.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

dexman hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

even so that would not account for the amount of usage these people are saying they are being billed for,

and like you said it should be accounted as  Administrative purposes as opposed to user activity.

0 Likes
hipkts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Vanigo,

Thanks for the response.

The way it was explained to me, and I do not know for definitely sure, everything that goes through the jetpack is reported. As a consequence, I took my wireless printer off the MiFi and stood up a separate network for printing only. Not that much data probably but still, any way to not have data go through the MiFi.

Going forward, I will use the networx data to at least have some sort of record of what I think I should have used and at what time. I will then download the usage from Verizon and add my data to the spreadsheet for comparison.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  I said that same thing when a recent phone call with Verizon

support told me to get a program to track my usage.

Right, but I just wanted to align your expectations and recognize that VZW wont acknowledge any personal logs from your personal machines.  This is primarily for your own benefit so you can have a chance to see what is going into the Jetpack or not.  A properly setup data usage monitor is worth the hassle and removes the need to even confront VZW in the first place.  Stop the leak at the source, just like you would a faucet running in the house.  Using the water util analogy the water company doesn't care which faucet is consuming the water, they only care about how much water they pump to your house.

> So basically I use what Verizon says I use when they say I use it.

Unless you have something to suggest otherwise then yes.

> Regardless of if the device is turned off or not.

No, you can confirm if data delays are happening or not by asking VZW for clarification on your billing scenario.  If you have extended service then maybe 24 hours is normal delay.  Normal full VZW service areas only experience delays of a few minutes or hours at best.  Turning off your Jetpack is still the most definitive way to verify if there is a billing mistake or not, but you need more context than just that statement to get anything done.

>  I leave my device turned off for 20 hours and use 500mb of data

with it turned off but cannot prove anything because there is a possible

"delay" in the reporting.

Right, but we need to know if you are in an extended service area for us to know if that is expected behavior or not.  Full service areas this should be a big red flag of an error on VZWs side.  If 20 hours is the current benchmark then what happens with 30 or 40 hours of the Jetpack being turned off?  I've never heard of delays being that extended before.

>  So, with the Verizon reporting method there does not appear to truly be any

way to track my actual usage.

I wouldn't say that.  Just that there are two sides to the story.  There is the data usage from your side of the Jetpack and then there is the data usage on VZWs side of the Jetpack.  The two wont match up perfectly but there should be enough of a correlation between them to draw conclusions.  Unfortunetly VZW holds the advantage here as they have the right to bill you for usage as they see it unless you can demonstrate to them there is a problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am truly sorry to see that you feel that way as that is not the expectation set for you or any of our customers. We take this type of situation very seriously and you can be certain that I will bring this to the attention of our leadership. We believe that you should be able to rely on us and it's with your feedback that we use to continuously improve our services and customer experiences.

Verizon_Customer_Support

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes