Does a printing job between my computer and my printer that goes through my MiFi Jetpack count against my plan's monthly data allowance?
michaeljparkeresq

If I am not on the internet but printing hard copies of old files from my computer using the MiFi Jetpack simply as a router, is that data transfer charged against my plan's monthly data allowance?  I am getting stupendous increases in data overage bills that I cannot account for.  Does it make sense to hard wire the laptop to the printer and bypass the MiFi?  It's inconvenient, but the bills are ridiculous; they are exceeding my entire electric bill.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does a printing job between my computer and my printer that goes through my MiFi Jetpack count against my plan's monthly data allowance?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> that data transfer charged against my plan's monthly data allowance?

No. Truly local network activity is not counted against you on your data plan.  Only traffic that goes across the VZW network is held against you.  Where most people get confused is if their data is actually local only or not, when in many cases something ends up getting sent out to the internet.

I have attempted to demonstrate this concept in detail from this thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1227516?tstart=0#1227516

> Does it make sense to hard wire the laptop to the printer and bypass the MiFi?

Absolutely.  If the MiFi is providing you with no benefit other than to serve as a wireless router then a simple solution is to get onto a USB connection with your printer.  USB connections work much better than WiFi anyways.

> It's inconvenient, but the bills are ridiculous; they are exceeding my entire electric bill.

You have an interesting test situation ready to go.  Post back and let us know if removing the printer from the Jetpack resolves your data usage problem or not.

0 Likes
Re: Does a printing job between my computer and my printer that goes through my MiFi Jetpack count against my plan's monthly data allowance?
michaeljparkeresq

John: I am running some tests now (nothing as sophisticated as yours) to isolate the cause of these massive overages, and will revert when I have results.

Many thanks for your advice; it is much appreciated.

M

Michael J. Parker

0 Likes
TyroneGreen
Contributor - Level 2

Get an active sim card from verizon and then use the MAX BR1 you can DMZ, port forwarding everything you can on a regular router.

Pepwave MAX BR1 Router With Embedded US/Canada/South America 3G/4G Modem : 3Gstore.com

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Looking forward to your results.  Please keep us posted!

0 Likes