Home Fusion data useage:
Dean5552

Having troube with my home fusion device using way to much data.  I am wondering if this router can be hacked into easily and that is how my data is getting used.  I am having the same problems with countless others on abnormal amounts of data is being used.  Please send any suggestions besides the usual, your devices are using up the data.  I don't stream, game or watch many you tube videos at all.  My plan just started over and in one day used 3.75 gigs of data.  This past month, useage was crazy and I blamed my family.  With what happened after one day I know it is not them using the data.  Help, help, help.  I love the fact that I can get high speed in an area I can't connect to a dsl or cable.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Home Fusion data useage:
yarelim_vzw
Verizon Employee

Dean5552

Your security is important to us and can assure you that your Home Fusion is secure.  I also understand it is important to  understand your data usage.  Allow us to review your account to check on current and previous data usage.  Please replay back with number on account and billing password.

Look forward in assisting.

0 Likes
Dean5552

Have already talked to two different people at Verizon...all I get is it has to be something in my home...there is no way possible this is taking place.  That is why I checked on it after one day.  Shows I used 3.75 gigs from my 870 703 6068 number in less than 24 hours with no one on any devices for near the amount of time it would take to use that much data.  We do not use Netflix, gaming, very rarely look at any kind of video.  We are not heavy users and it has progressively gotten worse each month since having home fusion.  I hope you can help.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Allow me to summarize how this will go for you.

Verizon will claim you are using the data, you will deny.  Verizon will bill you for the data as recorded by their billing system and you will pay it.  If you don't pay the bill then VZW will send you to collections for not honoring your contract.  VZW may credit you back if you can somehow prove there was a billing mistake, but I don't see any evidence of that on your post so far.  You may counter VZW directly as an individual in small claims court if you like, but you have already waived the right to a class action with your contract.

The liability is on the consumer right now to discover and regulate their own data usage.  Just like a water pipe if you leave it on the water company is going to bill you.  The water company doesn't care if anyone is using it or not, if its on then its on and if they claim their equipment is working then their work is done.

To figure out specifically what is going on will require significant effort on your behalf.  You need to isolate the devices that are connected to your network and setup monitors to track how much and what kind of data is passing through them.  VZW has no responsibility to help you with your personal networking devices.

What you should do in the mean time is build a habit of shutting down or disconnecting your devices when they are not actively being used.  This will make the reporting features VZW offers you much more accurate and intuitive.  As long as a device is powered on and connected to the LTE router it could be consuming data with or without your consent.

Dean5552

Why would this happen on my home fusion but didn't on my mifi device?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Could simply be a coincidence:

Something may have changed without your knowledge that is now resulting in higher data usage.  It could also be a bad patch, update or some other traffic that is unable to finish when it could before, resulting in racked up usage.  If you can discover what machine is requesting the traffic you could get him onto an alternative hotspot so it can get over the hump and back to normal.

The hardware is different:

In theory HomeFusion (now referred to as LTE Internet Installed) should out perform a Jetpack any day of the week.  Stronger equipment with better service should mean higher performance and less headaches.  Unfortunately HomeFusion equipment is not as easily returned as Jetpacks currently are, which is why they are supposed to be built to last.  It is also why HomeFusion needs to be installed by a rep instead of delivered to the home as is.  There are more points of failure than with a Jetpack but that should all be verifiable by VZW and the techs they send to install and support it.

HomeFusion is on a slightly different network setup:

Home fusion is the only broadband product that is sold with a public IP address. Everything else sold by VZW sits behind a NAT firewall which blocks certain traffic from completing.  Perhaps there is some hard coded variable on one of your machines that has not been able to adapt to the new pathways yet.  Or the opposite is true and there was some traffic that was previously blocked that now is able to communicate.

danishaw
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are experiencing high data usage as well. Especially today, when we were notified we had used 75% of our 20 GB plan. No one was on the computers at this time (only have a desktop and a laptop). Under an hour later I received a notification that we had used 90% of our plan. Again, no devices were on. And the the 20 GB has been reached. I do NOT understand this, and every month we come close to reaching the 20 GB allowance. When we had Cellcom we never came close to 20 GB month. And nothing has changed as far as internet usage. I have also noticed usage in the middle of the night. The two computers are shut off. We do NOT stream videos, do NOT download movies, NO gaming. Only Facebook, checking e-mails, occasional iTunes music downloads and occasional Youtube videos. NOTHING that would use that amount of data.

From what I've read, there are lots of people having this same issue. So Verizon, what is the deal????

Dean5552

John...is there a way when I pull up my device and I can see what is connected currently and what has connected in the past to boot those off so that they would have to reconnect?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

See the LTE Internet Installed User Manual:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/lte-internet-installed-manual.pdf

Page 4.3.3 talks about enabling MAC filtering/authentication on your home router.

Page 8.1.4 talks about viewing the ARP table which will show you all of the currently connected devices.

Unfortunately there is no feature that will show you previously connected devices.  You would have to create or setup a custom monitor for a feature like that to record the connections over time and store that info somewhere.

0 Likes
Linlu1945
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apparently I'm not alone!  We were sold on 10 gb plan Home Fusion but soon found we needed 20 gb plan.  We are genealogists so spend several hours a day researching but very little video streaming. No games or video or music streaming.  We can surf for 8 hours and use around 1 gb.  But something went extremely wrong the middle of February 2014.  The last 2 or 3 gbs of data just seemed to evaporate before our eyes.  Our new month began on Monday, Feb. 16 at midnight.  By 10 a.m. we had used 4.5 gbs and only been on the internet approximately 4 hours.  Within a hour we had used 6 gbs or more.  I immediately called Verizon and a case worker has been assigned to my account to look into the problem.  However, she kept saying it had to be my computer or something else was running that I wasn't aware of. The in and out report showed it wasn't on Verizon.  I'm very displeased and if this problem isn't resolved real soon, will be forced to go another route.  We didn't change our internet habits....no gaming, watching videos, goggle earthing, downloading or streaming....disgusted in Missouri