Home wifi router
Djv04

Can I use my own router that I own?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Home wifi router
grolston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying the same thing. Right now I took my own home router (TPLink AC 1900) and attempted to plug it in to get better broadcast of signal. I am using the VZ 4G LTE Home Router ASK-RTL108 broadband router. So the first day I used the 4G LTE Home Router I did not attempt to plug in my current TP Link router and for the whole day it went fine doing Zoom meeting all day long. That evening I plugged in my router to one of the LAN ports and made sure the WAN setup in the TP Link was looking at 192.168.1.1 for default gateway. My TP Link is using a class A private network and the VZ 4G LTE comes with the standard class C. It routed fine and all my current network had access to the public internet. Then after about an hour it all crashed; however, my VZ 4G LTE router still reporting connected to 4G which was odd. When this happened I could not use the 4G LTE wifi nor my TP Link WIFI. Maybe I was missing something as my understanding of networking is limited at best, but when I restarted the 4G LTE home internet router, it would start working fine for a bit then crash out again.  

This morning I removed the TP Link router plugged into the VZ 4G LTE home internet router. It seems to be holding out fine now all day. Now this comes with the problem of extending my network at home to reach what is needed. I have looked at setting the TP Link router to become an access point or repeater, but I am still wondering if that would cause an issue as I think access point mode still acts as a NAT device (I could be way off so please correct me if wrong). 

Ultimately I don't care about keeping my home network setup as-is, but I do care about getting a stronger signal. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grolston, we appreciate all of your efforts and steps you have taken to set up your Network Extender. We want to make sure your services are working smoothly. Can you please clarify if you are having trouble connecting to the Network Extender? 

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

grolston, we appreciate all of your efforts and steps you have taken to set up your Network Extender. We want to make sure your services are working smoothly. Can you please clarify if you are having trouble connecting to the Network Extender? 

Network Extender?  How are you equating a 4G LTE Home Router to a Network Extender?  

Apples and Oranges?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Dieselj25
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also going to try to use my TP-Link router and hope that it will work. Last time I did this with a MOFI 4500, I had to also turn off the wifi in the MOFI, and just connect to the TP-Link's wifi.   Wondering if that would be similar - to turn of wifi on the ASK-RTL-108 after connecting it to the TP-Link router via Ethernet cable.  But I hope to get it to work so that the wifi range will be greatly extended, and the TP-Link can handle way more users.    Seems to be a good solution - if it works.   Any advice VZ?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure we are providing the assistance you need Dieselj25. To clarify, are you having trouble with the connection on the router or are you looking to extend the range of the connection? I want to make sure we have a complete understanding of what you are having trouble with so we can provide the proper solution. 

0 Likes
Dieselj25
Enthusiast - Level 3

The goal was to add range to the wifi and to allow more users than 10.   I tried using my TP-LINK Archer 3150 connected to the VZ router via LAN port and ethernet cable.  This worked for about 8 hrs, then failed. No internet on either device. I had to disconnect the router, and reboot the modem.  

From what I am reading on this forum, it appears to be an issue with Software Version: 204453 on the VZ Modem.

See:  https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/4G-LTE-LTE-Advanced/LTE-Home-Router-Firmware-Update-appears...

0 Likes