LTE Home Internet cancellation has been terrible
jdoddato
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a happy Verizon customer for 10+ years and never thought to post anything here, but I need to share this because I didn't see any other way to get this information to someone at Verizon outside of the normal support lines.

In Fall 2021 I got Verizon Home LTE Internet as a backup to my main internet provider. We really haven't used it for the 10 or so months we've had it, and the few times I did use it, it just didn't provide the speed we needed. No problem, things happen. The issue is what I've gone through since then.

1 - Chat support said they can cancel, I would just have to pay a $130 termination fee since I was outside of the 30 day return/refund window. I sent them the info from Verizon's FAQ that says I don't have to pay the termination fee if I return the device. They said that doesn't apply with no real explanation.

2 - I call the next day and talk to someone who was very helpful. He explained that it was a device promotion fee and since I was canceling early (outside of the 30 day return / refund window) I had to pay it, but that I wouldn't have to return the device. Ok at least it was explained, I just don't want to pay for the service anymore, so I agree to pay the $130.

3 - While I'm on the phone with him I get an email from Verizon saying that my service was canceled and I need to return the device within 30 days or I will be charged an additional $200, and that a return kit was on the way. I asked him why I got that email if I'm paying the $130 device fee, and he didn't know. He told me to wait for the return kit to arrive, return the device, then call them back so they could remove the $130 fee.

4 - 6 days later I receive the return kit. It only has a box with no instructions or return label. It's basically useless to me. I don't even need a box, because I have the original box with all the original parts and accessories. I literally just need the label, but it's not there.

5 - I reach out to chat for help to get a return label. They lead me on for almost an hour saying "oh ok we're accessing your account now" and get nowhere. Zero progress.

6 - I call again this morning and after about 30 minutes and a lot of "putting me on hold to check with someone else" they say that they've resent the request and I should receive a return label in the mail within 5-7 days. I ask if they can send me the label digitally since I only had 30 days to return the device before being charged $200 and I had already waited 9 days. They didn't know. I also never received an email confirming that I have a return label coming. All I have is a generic text message from the rep saying "Return label submit request". Based on my experience so far, my confidence isn't high.

All I wanted to do was cancel a service that I wasn't using. Having to pay the $130 is annoying since my device is basically mint condition but I understand, it was in the terms. That's on me. But then being required to return the device and not being able to have any of 4 different support reps explain to me what was actually happening is pretty bad. I got different answers from all of them.

The $130 is already on my next bill, and I'm just waiting now to see if I can get this device returned in time so that I don't get charged another $200. All for something that I've had packed and ready to go for a week. I don't know why they are making it so hard for me to give them their device.

I just want to move on from a service I wasn't using and not be charged for a fee I shouldn't be. 2 chats, 2 calls, and about 2.5 hours of my personal time and I'm still waiting to see if it's going to be resolved.

Labels (1)
Re: LTE Home Internet cancellation has been terrible
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for this experience, Jdoddato. We are sorry to hear that you are looking to cancel this service. We know the urgency of this and glad to hear you were able to speak with someone this morning. We are confident that the return the label will arrive in the mail, so you complete the return. Please keep us posted on your progress within this timeframe.

-Jason

0 Likes
jdoddato
Enthusiast - Level 2

We'll see what happens and I will update status here. Just wanted to add that not one person could explain to me why I was being asked to return my device when I cancelled outside of the 180 day window.

The terms clearly state that after 180 days I shouldn't have to return the device. So all this craziness is over something I shouldn't even have to be doing. They are clearly stated on the verizon site - https://www.verizon.com/support/lte-home-internet-faqs/ as well as the detailed terms https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-5g-home-legal/

A better answer would've been to remove the requirement for me to return it altogether and ensure that I wouldn't be charged the $200 fee. But at this point I'm willing to just return the thing to be done with this.

jdoddato
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a quick update on this - I decided to reach back out to the chat support to ask them a very basic question. I gave them the background on my situation and said that the rep I spoke to this morning was sending out another return kit.

My question though was - "since I canceled outside of the 180 day window and the terms say that only devices canceled within the 180 day window need to be returned, why am I being asked to return the device at all?"

A few follow up questions and 30 minutes later I received the response that "I've submitted a request to send you another return kit, you should receive it in 7-10 days".

When I told them that I already had one coming and now I will have two - but that it didn't answer my question. The response was "yes just send it back with the first one you receive."

I genuinely hope that someone sees this and realizes how ridiculous of an experience it is. This could've easily been handled and dealt with if there was some kind of escalation process where you could talk to an expert support rep for special cases. If I end up being charged $200 for something that I wasn't even required to return I will have to take other action.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jdoddato,

The return policy is different depending on which model LTE Home Internet device you had. Your account would need to be reviewed to find those details to clarify why a return kit was sent.

-Mark

0 Likes
jdoddato
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I guess my question is - after discussing with 5 different Verizon support folks, should one of them at least known how to look that up and explain it? Because none of them could. Also, the actual FAQs and terms on the website state that depending on when you got your device determines your return timeline, nothing about specific device models.

Either way, just as an update to this, I received another return kit and sent the device back. It was delivered yesterday morning to the Verizon return center. I'm just waiting to get confirmation that it has been received so I can move on with my life.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly appreciate your feedback and always want to ensure we are setting the correct expectations regarding the return of your device, jdoddato. We're glad to hear you did receive a kit to return your device. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. -Danielle

0 Likes
jdoddato
Enthusiast - Level 2

Believe it or not, this is still a problem. I finally received the return kit and sent the device back. It was received by Verizon on 8/23/22 but I received no notice that the device was marked as returned. Last week I chatted with a rep again (my 8th or 9th time contacting support about this issue) and after another 30 minutes they confirmed for me that the device was in fact returned and that I wouldn't be charged.

Now today, I just received an email saying that my device was never returned and I have been charged the $200 on my next bill. I am currently waiting on the Verizon chat line for the 10th time to sort out this issue.

This has been a ridiculous experience and really pathetic that I have had to waste as much time as I have on this and am still being unnecessarily charged. 

Is there someone to escalate to? I would think my situation would warrant it have a month of dealing with this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to help with any concerns you have about the Non Return Fee. Please send us a Private Note at your earliest convenience to review your account and see what is going on.

~Vic

0 Likes
jdoddato
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke to a customer service rep on Friday 9/9 after receiving the email. She was very helpful and issued me a credit for $200 since Verizon clearly received the device. The credit looks as if it was approved this weekend and my next month's bill has been updated to reflect that. Assuming nothing changes there, this should finally be resolved.

I had no problems with Verizon for 10+ years and generally like your service, but this was honestly one of the worst experiences I've ever had with any company. Glad it seems to be over.

0 Likes