Router randomly loses 4g connection throughout the day
willfire67

Just obtained this device a month ago, since start up this device will lose 4g internet connection  numerous times daily.  Device will show there is a good signal and it is connected but cannot access the internet from any wifi connected device (ie: laptop, ipad, iphone, etc.)  All devices are successfully connected via wifi when this is occurring.  Resetting the router device via 1) turning off, back on and/or  2) removing battery, unplug, replace battery, plug back in  resets device and will make it work for awhile.  Sometimes an hour, sometimes a couple hours and sometimes just for 5 minutes.  I shouldn't have to do this procedure numerous times a day for proper operation.  What's wrong with this device??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Router randomly loses 4g connection throughout the day
willfire67

I have verified it is the router device with the problem.  When my laptop is connected to it via WIFI and internet stops working, I quickly switch to hotspot off my iphone which is connected to 4g and not my router. Laptop connects to internet just fine.  Quickly switch back to router and nothing.  The laptop will show a good WIFI connection to the router device

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Willfire67, this is not the smooth sailing that we want for your Internet surfing. With your help, we will get to the bottom of this. Is there any specific thing that you are doing or app that you may be using on the tablet or laptop when this goes dormant? Do you find it happens when you remain on the same page for some time?

Let's have you do a quick check on the current software. Please follow the steps at this link: http://spr.ly/6584BYIx0.
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Are there any logs on the 4G LTE router that you can share with us to confirm VZW network disconnections?  You can search through the User Manual for any logging options that are available.  This will help VZW confirm service or hardware problems.

Another test that you could perform is something called a Site Survey.  Site surveys require you to test your service in multiple locations, isolating service problems to specific areas or obstacles in that environment.   For example, if your closest towers are on the West side of your house then try testing on the west side of your home next to a window.  Test again outside the home of possible to remove any interference generated from the building materials in your walls.  Test again at a neighbors house or somewhere that may have a better LOS to the local VZW tower.

Granted site surveys are not very easy with a stationary device like a 4G LTE router.  If you have a VZW phone you can conduct the same tests with an app or simply watching the signal bars on the phone.  The same statistics gathered from a VZW phone would apply to the 4G LTE router.

More info on Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

The point of the site survey is to help you isolate the problem to a VZW service issue or a hardware problem.  If the 4G LTE router has a hardware problem it will behave the same no matter where you locate it.  If VZW service is the problem you should be able to improve performance of the 4G LTE router by moving it around to a better area or boosting the VZW performance in that area with 3rd party antennas and amplifiers.

0 Likes
willfire67

VWCS, It is up to date on software.   There is no specific thing I am doing, just using the internet.  It is not confined to a certain website or action.

0 Likes
willfire67

John, a site survey is not required seeing that a Verizon wireless tower is literally 200 yards away from my house.  So I would have to say service is not a problem.  I am pulling up to 40 mbts download on my phone and laptop. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can't thank you enough for your continued patience. As we continue to review, may I ask if you have any wired connection to the device? Does the status of the router show the devices connected? http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-65153/
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>Verizon wireless tower is literally 200 yards away from my house

Great, that means that distance shouldn't be a problem for you.  Distance and interference are the two top problems we have to work around when troubleshooting wireless problems.

There is still value in performing a site survey.  Wireless signals do not always work way we think they do which is why they are so difficult to plan and account for in the real world.  The best troubleshooting tool we have is to actively sample the performance with techniques like site surveys.  There might be something in your home that is causing interference and a site survey may help you identify what it is through trial and error.

Besides, if you complete a site survey and the 4G LTE router is still performing poorly then you have more evidence to support bad hardware.  This should help you move along with the VZW troubleshooting process and encourage them to try sending you a replacement or alternative device as the next step.

0 Likes
willfire67

vwcs, nothing wired connected to router.  all devices that are wifi'ed show connected.  Although, when the problem exists, the router will not respond to pushing the far left home button.  I push it and nothing will come up on the display to show me signal strength, etc.  I have to power off/on for it to work

0 Likes
willfire67

did a site survey this morning and not the problem.  good signal everywhere around including good wifi signal.

0 Likes